Monday, July 27, 2009

Day 5 ~ An Explosion & Ards Forest Park

Today we slept in very late....it was great! Then we all decided to get the show on the road for our trip out to Ards park. I decided it might be time to take some care and attention to my head of fuzz and wanted to flat iron my hair. We had bought an adaptor/convertor before we left with specific advice from the salesperson that it would be able to handle my flat iron. So we plugged it in and I started to work on that big ole head of mine. About half way done the iron started to lose heat and then I heard a 'POP' and a puff of smoke coming from the outlet! YIKES!!!! Then a horrible smell started. I quickly pulled the adaptor out of the wall and dropped in on a towel...it was very hot. Now I was really mad because first of all I didn't know if this incident damaged my flat iron and secondly that was a lot of money spent to have it blow up on first use. There wasn't really anything we could do about it at that point so I begged Sinead's flat iron off her to finish my head. Frustrating!

(just to let you know we returned the unit to 'The Source' when we got back. No refund allowed but we were able to exchange it for a different brand which was a little cheaper. The gal said that lots of people were having issues with that particular adaptor.)

Anyhow, we put that behind us and head out to Ards Forest Park which was a 25 min drive. Sinead has told me about this place for years and told me I'd love it. She knows me well and this was my very favorite place in our whole trip.

Here we are starting out on our walk down to the beach area. There are forest trails, marshes and beach area. There were lots of cars in the car park but the place seemed deserted!







Oh the beautiful crystal clear water! I got to touch the Atlantic for the first time. A chilly experience. It was truly spectacular and photos will never do it justice.




The kids loved the dunes. It wasn't windy which kept the air nice and mild. This is what the Ireland in my mind looked like...but better!

I must go back to this beach...I must!


A family photo.


Keith and I took the kids up a trail to the bluff for a different view. It was very lush and green.



That view was worth the climb!

Since the clouds there roll in at a rapid speed the scenery changes look minute by minute. You really could snap photos all day long.

Then a storm cloud moved in...very dramatic!



We walked back a different way we walked in. Unfortunately Keith found a tick on his leg from being in the trees. Everyone freaked out about that!
Below is a sign for the ladies toilet (they don't say bathroom or washroom). All signs in the Republic of Ireland are in English and Irish.


It was a great day. We got home a bit late so I made a quick dinner of taco salad which was a hit. Then we all settled down to watch Survivor. The show is summarized after each scene in Irish by a commentator with English subtitles. Very unique!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What amazing scenery! I don't think I could ever get my fill of it.

Anneliese said...

wow! I didn't realize you were back! I just got caught up on your trip here and it sounds like it was all you dreamed and more. It is amzing how kids travel - I find that with C&J's kids as well. If the parents are adaptable, the kids will be fine too. Your descriptions of the grocery store made me smile inside as well, as it sounds so much like other countries. I think it's only the US and Canada that have everything in big sizes. I also have thought about what a Cosco would do in another country. They just don't have the room in their fridges and storages etc. There is also a lot of waste in America when people don't know how to buy in quantity. Oh, it sounds like such a great trip! Welcome back!

villagegirl said...

Glorious! The beach is absolutely stunning.
Hee...tv watching sounds like fun!

Fiona said...

I can totally see why they live there. Absolutely stunning.

QuiltNut Creations said...

absolutely gorgeous!

Jenn said...

Oh, I love that stormy picture and you're looking very slim in the pics Rachel!