Thursday, May 20, 2010

A Parenting Story

I've had quite a week so far. Of course, with Keith being gone what would be minor problems are amplified as I deal with them on my own.
Monday afternoon Liam started up with a high fever. We had a restless night. Tuesday his fever raged on and his appetite vanished. That evening I decided to pop into the clinc to make sure his throat and ears were clear. Check. All systems go there which is good BUT then it's called a 'virus' and there's not much to be done for that.
Tuesday night was equally restless and long with some throwing up involved and extra messy diapers. At least now I knew he had the flu.
Wednesday was my day off so I was able to take care of Liam here at home and give him lots of TLC. He was beside himself with crankiness and couldn't seem to doze for more than 30 minutes at a time even though he was exhausted. I was able to get him to drink a bit but eating wasn't something he wanted to do. Around dinner time my toilet decided to plug up and keep running and running......I didn't noticed the SPLASHING sound until the bathroom was well flooded and there was water pouring into the basement bathroom via the ceiling. I used every single towel in my linen closet to mop up the mess and put in an emotional email to Keith. As this was happening Liam fell on top of Chad in the livingroom and split lip inside his mouth. Lotsa blood, lotsa tears and lots of (I'm ashamed to say) yelling on my part as this was the straw that broke the camel's back. Keith phoned me from Spokane and calmly brought me back down to earth. Then that massive nasty storm came and our lights flickered on and off. I don't like power outages and storms when I'm home alone. I am SUCH a baby. But we made it through the night.
Thurday.....I stayed home from work, bathroom is now dry, our power didn't go out, Liam's mouth is fine and he's been having a nap for the past 2 hours. He seems to be on the mend, thank God!
As for me, I am counting the hours until Keith gets home Friday night so I can relinquish my parenting responsiblities until I am physically and emotionally ready to go at it again!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Rachel. I'm so sorry to hear about the horrible week you had. I hope you have a nice relaxing weekend to make up for it.

Kerry said...

I don't envy you at all. It's hard being a parent and so much harder being a single parent. Yuri is going to the States for a week in July and I'm not looking forward to it. I'm glad your week is coming to an end. :) Hope you get to rest.

Jenn said...

So sorry Rachel. It really is harder when the hubby's are gone, but you had a couple extra doses of hard!
Christian leaves tomorrow for almost a month on the road and I'm just praying for patience and energy to make it through...

poof said...

aw you poor thing...on the bright side, this is one of those "remember when" stories you'll cherish 20 years from now

hope all is well today

:)