Saturday, March 22, 2014

Dr. Google

Perhaps you already knew this but I just discovered something for myself that makes this curious girl very happy.
One can get ALL the juicy details of all BioMed lab test results online.  This means that after they take your blood, pee or whatever sort of bodily fluid you can get your results YOURSELF before you do or (usually) do not hear back from your doctor.
I recently went to my doctor for a check up (this took great courage!).  It had been about 6 years so I knew it was time.  She's a new doctor for me and very thorough.  This is good and somewhat disturbing as I don't like medical exams of any sort.
Anyhow she sent me for routine blood work and I was able to see all my results and subsequently diagnose myself (ha ha ha!) before too long.
Actually the doctor's office just called me the other day to have my blood drawn again to do a more specific test and I was able to see those results in less than 24 hours!  I love this.
Anyhow, the good news is that I am quite healthy....minus the fact I seem to have a solid case of anemia. 
I have a follow up appointment next week and I can guess that I'll have to go on iron pills.  Double blech!
This is also a bit sad because I really wanted to start donating blood with the Red Cross but with my numbers this is not likely to ever happen.

4 comments:

Terry said...

So when Heather yelled "Get the lead out!" you misunderstood and got the iron out instead?

Stephanie said...

Hey Rachel,
I have a problem with anemia too. Has your doctor recommended Feramax? It's a little expensive but gets the job done faster and with no unpleasant side effects. You can get it cheaper at Walmart if you want to. . . Ask for it at the pharmacist's counter. I tried regular iron pills and my numbers just would not go up, but I am taking two of these a day now and it works more effectively.

Sonya said...

How did I never know this before? This is just the kind of information I love! How does one go about getting their test results online?

QuiltNut Creations said...

ick. very cool about seeing the test results; I did not know that.