Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Until We Meet Again..

Grandpa's 88th Birthday -July 2010
 
My Grandpa, Abram Omar Friesen passed away yesterday.  It wasn't surprise but it's still unsettling news.  He is my second grandparent to die and it feels a bit surreal.
I didn't have a close relationship with my grandpa but respected him all the same.
My Grandpa started going downhill slowly over 10+ years beginning with my Grandma's admittance to the nursing home with Alzheimer's.  He became a bachelor without anyone to take care of him in the way he was accustomed.  He lived on 'Filet 'O Fish', tin roof sundae ice cream and chocolate.  Lots of chocolate.  He had excellent genes and was healthy in every other respect.  Even with his poor diet and lack of exercise he managed to live to 90 years old!
Some of my favorite memories of Grandpa are:
 
-having him take out his false teeth and giving us a laugh.  This was a rare treat!
-the smell of his shed....lawnmowers and gasoline
-riding around in the back of  his huge burgundy station wagon
-telling jokes, puns and riddles...ALL THE TIME!
-being an absolute pool shark
-being musically talented
-always have treats and candies at his house on Centennial Street
-calling my dad his favorite son (my dad is his ONLY son!)
-him telling me regularly what 'nice boys' I have
 
 
The memories make me smile and I can be glad that he is healthy and whole again in heaven.  We'll see him again one day and this assurance gives great peace!
I wish I had some pictures of when he was younger and more spry but I think those are all on slides.
Here are some classics!







3 comments:

Keri's Collage... said...

What a beautiful tribute to your grandpa! I only met him once, but I remember the twinkle in his eye!
Sending hugs your way!
Keri

Stephanie said...

I didn't know he was musically talented!

Anonymous said...

Your grandpa sounds like a really special person. And I'm not gonna' lie...I love that he was a chocoholic. :)