Friday, May 02, 2014

Farewell to Daisy

Last Sunday it was time to say good-bye to our Thai guest, Daisy.  She was with us for a month and it went so very well.  We weren't sure what to expect exactly but to be perfectly honest it went better than we had even hoped.  She was a low-maintenance guest who didn't look to us to entertain her all the time, loved to visit and enthusiastically learn about Canada and answer all our questions about Thailand, be assertive and comfortable enough to tell us what she did and did not want to do and best of all cooked us lovely meals in the kitchen and didn't let me lift a finger to help.  She was GREAT!  A good match to our family.
 We present her with a few small Canadian souvenirs before she left which made her cry!  I felt a little bad I wasn't teary but I had mentioned to her the day before I don't cry easily so I hope she wasn't offended!
 Daisy took plenty of photos....and always two.  One on her i-phone and one with her camera.  She also took many photos of our house since she and her husband are building a new house soon and she needed ideas.
 William and Daisy got along like peas and carrots.  William seems to thrive on someone being very motherly towards him and Daisy liked to boss him about (in a good way).  She is a teacher through and through.  William won't get the motherly act from me as I call myself a 'hands off' parent so I hope he really enjoyed his time with her.
We dropped Daisy off at school to board the bus to the airport.  Most of the Thai students were having teary moments saying good bye to their host families.
All in all this was a wonderful experience but it will be good to get back to regular routine again at home.  It can be very tiring being 'on' all the time.  I had a few 'moments' this past month due to a ton of stress so I am hoping for a nice quiet May.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Aw, she looks like a real sweetie. I'm glad you all had such a good time.
And Rachel, I guess I more than make up for your lack of crying ability. It sure would be convenient to keep a dry eye sometimes!