Monday, May 05, 2014

Learning to Play

I will readily admit that I am not at all good at 'playing' with my kids.  They learned pretty quickly as little ones that asking me to play with them was a useless task.  I will sit down and play a game, color or watch a show with them but to just sit down on the ground and play for the sake of play....no.  I shocked the pants off Liam the other night when I offered to play cars with him.  Not sure what was wrong with me but I felt an urge to surprise him.  He looked very shocked and then pleased as he said "Mum, this is the FIRST time ever you have played with me!".  Now that is an exaggeration my boy but yes, it's a rare treat.  
We went up to his room after he told me all his room rules such as I have to do everything he says.  Right.
Well, it turns out that I need a purpose in my play so I decided to go through his Hot Wheels bin and organize by color.  He liked my rainbow but he then wanted me to push the cars around.  This wasn't very fun and after about 5 minutes I offered to read him several books.  Thankfully he was very happy to do so and I concluded my 'play' for the night.  You're welcome Liam!  Mummy has other talents....the next time you need to play ask your Dad or brothers!


4 comments:

Terry said...

Funny!

villagegirl said...

I hear you! Maybe it's just the boy/girl thing but I never lasted very long playing cars/trucks with the boys plus you usually had to make noises, not have conversations so that petered out pretty quickly! ha ha, the thing we do for our children!

Sonya said...

I always loved playing with my kids and still do. Any excuse to have fun with them!

Heather said...

I am bamboozled! I see you playing on the floor regularly at work.

By the way, I love your organization and love for order. It is a gift in my world :)