Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Oh Happy Day


The boys finished up school today. They could have been at school a full day but since it was my day off anyhow, I decided to pick them up right after their award assemblies. They liked that!
Both of them achieved excellent report cards and I'm darn proud of their success. The best part of the report cards are the comments and to see that teachers can identify the traits you've been instilling in your child is a good feeling indeed. Nathan's teacher called him 'kind and compassionate' and Chad's teacher said he was a joy to have in his class because of his 'cheerful, positive attitude towards learning'.
I felt a little bitter sweet as we walked out of ATMS for the last time. I never really got involved with Nathan's middle school due to my own job taking up so much of my time. But I really loved the teachers there and we had many friends that had been with Nathan since the early years of King Traditional. One of the moms told me that her daughter and Nathan had been in class together since grade one. When I told her that Nathan would not be returning in the fall she said: 'Oh I hate MEI. They take away all the nice kids.' But she said it with a smile and wished us well. Nathan said he would miss his friends but wasn't too sentimental about leaving school today. I promised him to have his buddies over during the summer and that was good enough to put the smile back on his face.
I treated the boys to lunch out as a celebration of the last day of school. I encouraged them (decided for them) that Wendy's would be a good choice so I could enjoy a yummy Baja salad. They happily ate their fries dipped in a Frosty and thanked me profusely. Now for cleaning out those smelly backpacks, tossing papers, sorting out leftover supplies and filing awards and report cards!

4 comments:

Terry said...

Even Liam looks happy that school is out! Way to go, Nathan and Chad. We are proud of you.

Trace said...

Way to go boys! :)

Anonymous said...

Such amazing boys you have. Must be due to their great parents. :)

Jenn said...

Great job Nathan and Chad!!! I feel totally the same Rachel. I was teary reading my kid's report cards as they all talked about how kind, compassionate, and good workers they are. These are the things we're teaching them!