Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Expo '86

Oh what a very exciting experience Expo '86 was for this young lady of 13 years old.  I was a part of District #34's Treble Choir and as such was very priveledged to sing in a mass children's choir at BC Place for Prince Charles and Princess Diana at the opening ceremonies.  It was amazing...I still remember it vividly.  We had to learn the Canadian Anthem in English and French.  Even though I was an alto we had to sing these insane high notes that only a professional should attempt.  We were screeching!  I dug out some old momentos of that time. 

The Program.

 My passport for getting stamps at each country's pavilion.
 The choir I was in sat directly at the centre of this photo.
And my certificate....it was a very fun choir.  I had to audition for it (heaven only knows how I made it in!) and we practiced one evening a week at Yale Secondary school.  How I loved it!

5 comments:

Terry said...

What a great memory!

Trace said...

How cool is that!! :)

Kori's House said...

Expo 86... very great memories!
I didn't know you were the star of the show. Very cool :)

My Grandpa Ernie Templeton proudly wore his 'Expo Ernie' pin on his jacket every day :)

Anonymous said...

I LOVED Expo '86! I think my mom still has my passport somewhere in her box of treasures.

My claim to fame (HA!) was that my sister and I were interviewed by David Mainse outside of the Pavilion of Promise and our interview aired on 100 Huntley Street.

Kerry said...

We drove 20 hours from Saskatoon to Abbotsford to stay with extended family that I had never met just so that we could go to Expo 86. I loved it! It was our first real family vacation and that trip is what had my parents thinking about moving to Abbotsford. SOOO glad they did. :)