Thursday, July 12, 2012

Beautiful

I just love it when a random book choice turns out to be one of the best stories I've read all year.
Let me back track to a work day in June when I was heading to the accounting office which is located in the high school.  If you did not already know, the two schools are linked through the libraries.  This means I have to drag myself through TWO libraries and usually never stop to browse books as tempting as it is!  Once school is out the high school librarian, Sheila usually displays 'Summer Reading' books on tables to entice teachers and staff to read over the summer.  As I was walking through she stopped me and 'ordered' me to take out some books!  Wellllll...okay.  Since she twisted my arm.  I perused the choices and randomly selected some with interesting covers.  If you are a book worm you will already know that a good cover does not necessarily made for a good book.  I took my stack home and piled them in the order I was going to read them.  The first was pretty good...a non-fiction book on how to relate to Mormons (yes, I have an on-going fascination with the Mormon faith because it's just SO strange).  The next in the pile was the one you see pictured above.  Again...I was attracted to the cover due to the rosary as I will also admit a deep interest with the Catholic faith.  There is a part of my genetic make up that likes to 'do' and be told what to 'do'.  Evangelical Christianity can make me feel a bit lost in it's freedom of any sort of traditions or the like.  I like the rituals and liturgy of Catholicism and well, that's a whole other post. (please do not leave negative Catholic ramblings in my comments section....not interested)  Back to this book....it's a very well told story about a religious sister (different than a nun) that's written so beautifully that I kept putting the book down to savor the words and I also didn't want the story to end. It's more about the character's deep relationship with Jesus than any particular denomination.  It's a love story on many levels.
I look forward to reading more of Lisa Samson's novels.  I hope they are just as good!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm fascinated by all sorts of different faiths. I've learned quite a bit about Mormonism since both of my girls have had Mormon friends.

Back to the topic at hand, this book sounds very interesting. I'm going to keep an eye open for it!

villagegirl said...

I just requested it from the library. Can't wait to read it!

villagegirl said...

I just finished reading it last night. Absolutely loved it! A truly beautiful story and so well written. I was thinking the same...I'm going to check out her other books as well.