Friday, July 05, 2013

An Expensive Week

Many weeks, maybe even months ago the freezer section of our fridge started becoming a bit warm.  The ice cream was too easy to scoop and the bread was sort of soft.  We didn't really pay too much attention until earlier this week we noticed that the ice cubes were melted.  This problem could no longer be ignored.  Due to the recent heat wave it was a bit difficult to tell if the fridge compartment was cold enough because it seemed cold compared to the air temp in the kitchen.  Mind you the milk wasn't as chilly as I preferred!  I bought a thermostat and was rather aghast to find the fridge hovering around 10 degrees.  Proper cooling should be at a minimum of 4 degrees!  We tossed a lot of food we thought might have been compromised.  Fast forward to a quick evening of fridge shopping and two days later this beauty was delivered to our home. 
I'm so thankful we have a back up fridge in the basement for the essentials.  It's a tiny fridge generally filled with just our milk jugs and pop etc but we loaded that little thing up just as tight as we could.  Now we have to wait 24 hours for the new one to come up to proper temperatures.  I can't wait to go grocery shopping (did I just say that??) and stock up for my hungry family again.  We've been limping along for a few days on very simple meals!
 
I had thought I wanted French doors but after testing them out at the store I quickly changed my mind.  They feel a bit fussy to open and close and the storage space in the doors is a bit inadequate.  We were happy with this rather simple Samsung.  I'd rather have a base model of a good brand than a fancy model of a crappy brand that will break in a few years.  Our old fridge was only 9 years old....can I be an 'old person' and say that they don't make things like they used to!

4 comments:

Terry said...

A working fridge = peace of mind.

Trace said...

Ohhh, it's a beauty! I understand being excited to fill it up! :)

They don't make them like they used to! Our fridge must be 20+ years old! My Mum gave it to me (she upgraded) not long after I moved out of home! We've never replaced it simply because we haven't needed to. It's still going strong but we are going to upgrade this year as it's just not big enough now. It will still make a perfect drinks fridge though. :)

Lovella ♥ said...

I love your new fridge. Yesterday I ordered myself a new Bosch Kitchen machine. I thought the same thing.. do they not them like they used to? I don't think I bake more and yet the gears give in too quickly to my bread dough.
Anways...a base model sounds like a good idea and maybe this new one will last me the rest of my life and I won't ever have to buy a new one. I think that sounds even worse.

Anonymous said...

Ooohh...what a pretty new fridge!