Sunday, August 12, 2007

Misty Mountains


For the past few years, we have been trying to do a hike up Mt Baker with Kori and family but it had seemed in the past the summer flew by too quickly before we could actually do it. So this summer we booked a date a month in advance to finally get our day at the mountain. The weather in the valley was cloudy with sunny periods when we woke up and looked to be a promising day. We really ought to know by now that if we can't see Mt Baker from town then the weather up there won't be that great. Yep...still holds true. As we drove up my smile turned upside down because hiking in the cold mist is not fun AND the 'to die for views' are just not gonna happen! Oh well.....we bundled up best we could and took to the trails. Yes they were wet and a tad slippery but we soldiered on and did enjoy ourselves. Kori and I had hair that grew by the minute in the wet air and by the time we were done the straight locks were curling/frizzing up pretty quick. Oh well....bye bye vanity.So after an hour or so of hiking we decided to eat our lunch. That mountain air certainly whets the appetite. And the little bugs that swarmed us were horrid! Ugh. Thank goodness Kori thought to bring some 'OFF'. It did help some so we could eat without swatting them away every five seconds.
We decided that we'd give it another go in late September when all the wild blueberries are ripe. Although what we saw on the way down the mountain put fear into my heart. We saw a BEAR! It was a young bear and he was skedaddling down the hill from the side of the road but I saw him. Of course, Kori and Roger and their kids thought it was super cool. I did not.

Be sure to check out Kori's blog for her version of events!













Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Keri's Collage... said...

Pretty please may I join you in September! I have wanted to go so bad!!!

villagegirl said...

Sounds like fun inspite of the weather. I do feel for your hair. Mine would have given yours a run for it's money. :)
One day we shall go there too. Can't wait! I don't think I want to be pushing a stroller up there right now.
The bear thing. I'm with you. I would have broken into a cold sweat. Ugh. I like wild life behind some type of enclosure.

Colleen said...

Despite the crappy weather you got some lovely shots. The family picture is just great!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures! It does look chilly though.

Keith and Teri said...

Well inspite of the depressing weather those pictures turned out unreal! Very pretty :) Look forward to seeing the "sunny" september pictures.