Friday, February 15, 2013

Happy Ski Day

MEI Middle does two 'outdoor ed' days each year.  The kids can chose from skiing, snow shoeing, x-country skiing, hockey and outdoor survival skills.  It's really a great program and caters to many interests and budgets.  It just so happen to work out for me to chaperone the second ski trip to Whistler yesterday.  Easiest job ever, as I was on the grade six bus (they were SO good) and then once they were handed over to the instructors we didn't see them until we loaded the bus at 3 pm!
I was concerned about the bus ride up as in the past I have gotten quite ill but I commandeered the front seat, kept my eyes straight ahead and did alright.  Phew!
 
 Delayne and I have skied several times together over the years with school trips.  But now she's super cool and snow boards!  Very impressive.
 Just a few of the awesome teachers I get to work with.  We had loads of fun!
 I received a lunch voucher for $16 and this is what I could afford.  Whistler is for those with bottomless pocketbooks.  It was a good sandwich but not worth the price!
 This was my first time on skis in 5 years so I was a bit nervous that I wouldn't be able to keep up with anyone.  I discovered it's like riding a bike and had no problems keeping up with the fastest skiers of our group.  Yippee!  In the morning we skied as a large group but after lunch we told the men to go do their black diamonds while us ladies just enjoyed an afternoon of intermediate runs. 
By the end of the day I was starting to feel my legs getting tired.  My rental boots were really tight around my calves and the pressure was starting to hurt.  Perfect time to call it a day!
Whistler is truly a gorgeous place to ski.  There are so many choices, chairs, runs, trails....it's mind boggling.  Thankfully, I got off that mountain injury-free and had a uneventful trip home.  All in all a fabulous day.  I hope I can go again next year!
Oh right...and Chad had a great time too.  He was a bit frustrated as his group had two boys that were not progressing quickly so Chad was ready for harder runs but the whole group was held up.  A lesson in patience for him!  I wish we could have skied a few runs together but I didn't see him the entire day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a marvelous day!

AF said...

Wow! Looked amazing.