Thursday, February 07, 2013

Live & Learn

Oh yes.  Proud as a peacock about my ability to really get a good work out on the treadmill on nights we don't get out to walk.  Even started running on it.  Walking at high speeds and inclines. 
I'm so awesome.
No.
I am not awesome.  I have been holding onto the rails.  Not all the time but a lot. Generally I am going so fast that I feel like I'll fly off the back of the thing if I don't hold on. I actually stumbled across a thread in a discussion group about how this is an absolute 'no no' and misuse of the treadmill.  It cuts the effectiveness of your work out by 70%.  Instead I should be cutting down the speed and increasing the incline and walking with arms pumping!
I feel like I have wasted a whole lotta time.
DOH!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have tried walking on tread mills without hanging onto the rails. I just can't do it. I am majorly uncoordinated.

Keri's Collage... said...

You need to start slow... just get your balance and coordination going. Then you will find your legs want to walk faster than the belt so you increase the speed by one notch. It keeps happening until your arms are pumping so hard that you couldn't grab on if you tried!
You can do it!

villagegirl said...

Keri's right. start slow.
I wouldn't say you've wasted your time at all! You've lost a lot of weight doing it that way...just think of the change this will bring now!

White Girl said...

On the upside, you must have really toned arms from the work-out they've been getting from holding you up! ;)
From the pictures, whatever you've been doing is working! Don't be so hard on yourself.