Saturday, April 21, 2007

Pests

Having our own front door to the world is a new experience for us. And oh, the people it attracts!
Now that the weather is warm it seems the 'door-bell ringers' are coming out in droves. In the past week I have been answering the door for bottle/pop can collectors, newpaper subscriptions, chocolate bar sales, evangelizers of religions, walk-a-thon donation requests and a company wanting me to swap my phone service. And this has only been when I am HOME. Imagine all the wonderful folks I've missed!
Does anyone else have the pleasure of all this company? Add this onto all the telemarketing we receive over the phone and I'm a cranky lady!
Any tips besides simply not answering the door any longer?!?!?!?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Roger is so scary people don't come to our door... or perhaps they hear me screaming at my family all the time... :)

Kori

Anonymous said...

Put a "No Soliciting" sign outside your door. It may help.

I enjoy your blog sooo much, Rachel!
Gaye

Anonymous said...

I am sure Keith has access to a roll of that yellow police tape and string it across your driveway with a 'Quarentine' sign posted nearby.

katybruk said...

I know that JW's will leave you alone if you just say "please don't come back". They are (surprisingly) polite and won't bother people if specifically requested.

I usually try to be polite and enter in a two minute conversation with them, but it always ends up with my regretting that decision, and being rude anyway :(

Good luck with all the other door-knockers!
Jen

Keri's Collage... said...

That is so funny!! I just sat down to check on my favorite blogs and my doorbell rang! Sure enough...some woman i didn't know standing there! So.. I didn't answer it. I didn't care that she saw me from the window :)

poof said...

Get a dog. Put up a sign. If all else fails, use electric fencing wire.

Anonymous said...

Move to the country. Most solicitors can't be bothered to come all the way out to my house. :)

Colleen said...

I'm with the electric fencing wire ... only maybe get the currents working upon ringing the doorbell. heh heh heh

villagegirl said...

I don't answer the door and we have call display so I only answer #'s I recognize. I got very tired of it as well. Like we have nothing better to tell people 'no thank you' all day. I already do that.
I like the police tape and electric zapping ideas though. :)

The Lang 6 said...

I like Sonyas idea, the only door knockers we get in the country are the darn neighbor kids playing "nickynickyninedoor"!!
-Dan

Canadian Kristin said...

I hesistate to comment, in case Murphy's Law kicks in and there is a sudden influx of knocks on my door....... I just leave my "Mommy and baby are sleeping" sign out all the time.... that seems to work... but "quarantine" tape would be good, too! ;-)