Wednesday, October 03, 2007

First Time

Well, we knew this would be an issue...it was just a matter of time. Nathan is realizing that having the last name that he does is not a bowl of cherries! Last night at dinner he told us that he was being teased on the bus coming home and in the classroom by the same two dimwits....errr...I mean kids. Keith and I weren't sure what to do. Do we let it go? I mean this is something he'll have to get used to....it really will never go away. But after some thought I decided that at this tender age it would be a good time to maybe nip these kids' nastiness in the bud, if at all possible. I certainly wouldn't make an issue of it in highschool or anything! By then he'll have to invent some snappy come-back lines like his mother has had to!
I emailed the teacher (love email!) and told him to deal with it as he saw fit. This afternoon I received a phone call from the principal! She told me that interestingly enough this particular child had already been in trouble for something else today and his mom was called to the school. But both boys have had a 'chat' with the principal and are going to write Nathan an apology letter. So.....we'll see if this works. If it continues then the boys will be taken to the 'next level' of discipline! First time I have had to deal with any problem at the school and I must say I am impressed at the swiftness of action.
Oh but she wasn't done chatting with me yet! Then she went on to tell me that she had something to say about Chad. Oh dear, I thought to myself. What has that monkey child been up to now?
It was all good! She went on to tell me that Chad is absolutely the sweetest, most adorable boy in the whole school! (and here I thought favorites were a no-no :)) She told me that he is always trying to catch her eye, give her a smile or a wave. Even today he noticed her walking by his classroom and motioned for her to come in and see him. He wanted her to hear the class read some poems. Awww...it was most heart-warming. And to top things off she mentioned that Chad will be recognized at the school assembly on Friday for a citizenship award.
Love those proud parenting moments!!!

8 comments:

sultana said...

Defending your kids when they can't do anything about their situation is what you did. Good for you!

Shawna said...

That is great - for both you and Chad...not so great for the other little boy - hopefully this is the end to the teasing!

Anonymous said...

It's always so difficult to know how to handle those types of situations. But you definitely did the right thing. I'm glad that it worked out so well.

And congrats to Chad on the citizenship award!

Lovella ♥ said...

Oh Rachel, this made me a tad teary. First of all I congratulate you as a mom for protecting your son when you should (as a little boy) . .(I don't recommend this after he's married) . .'
I hope that he'll grow up to have a soft heart and tough skin, the perfect combo for a man.

villagegirl said...

You did the right thing. Kids can just be so nasty. I don't look forward to that part of school. :(
and that's so nice to hear about chad! He is a sweetie!

Karis said...

I got teased lots with my maiden name....like "schmidt for brains", "get that schmidt off the court" and "schmidt head".....I remember crying about it and my parents just encouraging me to think about how insecure the other person must be to bug me and to not retaliate with bad names.....that helped abit. :)

Canadian Kristin said...

Oi. Glad the school was prompt to deal with this....having a school support your parenting and your protection of you kid: priceless.
Yay Chad for the award!!!

Fiona said...

I was bullied in school and I could tell my Mom realy wanted to help me, but I begged her not to. Even though I'm not a Mom, I can imagine how hard that would be to see your child be bullied. I think you did the right thing.

And good for Chad for getting an award! You've obviously taught him well.