Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Day 17 ~ Part Two Carrack-Rede Rope Bridge

We now headed east along the Causeway Road towards Carrack-Rede. It was a pretty and scenic drive as most of them are in Ireland.

We parked at the visitors centre, paid our entrance fee and then started on the 1 km walk to the rope bridge.
Here we are all lined up for our big thrill!

Nathan was concerned about the safety of the bridge and questioned Sinead along the walk. I guess he felt reassured and decided to go for it. I wasn't sure at the start that I wanted to but once I saw it I definitely couldn't miss out!

It's a very steep set of steps down to the rope bridge. There is a park employee who stands at the top and makes sure that only 8 people are on the bridge at a time.

Yikes! It was fine until about half way. Then the wind was gusting like nobody's business and I scooted over to the other side as fast as I safely could!




This is the view coming back from the island to walk back across.


The bridge leads to a small island that you can explore. As you can see it was quite windy but we were right on the sea so it was to be expected.


Nathan and Chad perked up a bit here but were just not themselves.
Thanks to a kind stranger we got a group shot of our gang.


That was a great thrill. Darryl took some video of us walking across too but I'll spare you. I felt like we had a very full and touristy kind of day. We were all quite tired by now and headed home to collect Clodagh and get some dinner going. Darryl made several HUGE pans of the most decadent nachos which we all enjoyed so much. Liam though moved on in his virus to getting a horrid case of the trit trots. This was to be our routine for the rest of our holiday. Changing foul diapers. Sigh.....when it rains, it pours!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kudos to you for crossing that rope bridge. I'm not sure that I could have done it!

Gaye said...

Your dad would NOT have crossed that bridge!

Canadian Kristin said...

Brave little tourist, Rach! That bridge would have had me crying and crawling if I even dared go across it! The Giants' Causeway is AMAZING!!!

Terry said...

Certainly not with my precious grandson on my back, making me top heavy. a "tip 'o the hat" to Keith for pulling that off. What an amazing view looking back over the bridge from the Island!

QuiltNut Creations said...

i don't know if i would have crossed that bridge lol

Kori's House said...

More stunning views!!
I am sure the kids will remember that rope bridge for years to come!

Nice group shot!

Fiona said...

Yeah, pretty much what everyone else has said. Scary bridge. Good for you for crossing it! Beautiful pics, yet again.