Monday, August 17, 2009

Day 19 ~ Derry the Walled City

My journal entry for day 19 is rather sparse and sloppily written. I'll have to go on memory for this one! In the morning before we set off for Derry, Darryl decided to put a bit more work into a little project he had started a few days ago. He wanted to move his garden shed from the driveway to the grass. The boys helped (?) I think and generally kept Clodagh entertained. Ceara was out of commission due to the flu virus having it's turn in her body.


In the afternoon we headed about 30 minutes north to Derry. It's situated in Northern Ireland so if you are from the North you call it Londonderry and from the Republic you call it Derry. It's a very picturesque city on a river with plenty of history. We first stopped at the visitor's centre where I bought a CD set with traditional Irish music. We didn't take a 'formal' tour but instead opted to do the self guided tour as the city is well posted with signs and information.
The wall encompasses the whole 'city'. What the city used to be at least. The city does extend past the walls now but back in the day it was for protection. I'll be very honest here and admit that I was getting tourist fatigue. I didn't read many signs on our walk and handed the camera off to Keith as I was just done taking pictures. I knew I was too tired when I saw some fascinating things and I had sort of lost that excitement of seeing them. I did enjoy being there but was sort of in la-la land that day.


The weather was fine when we started our walk around the entire wall but we had some rain showers and moments of brisk, cold wind.

Many old canons...many! See that 'Primark' building in the background? It's a great department stores with amazing prices on stuff. For instance, I bought t-shirts for the boys for 1.50 pounds sterling!




Another pretty city street as seen from the wall.


Old political sentiments still linger.....


A very old church. I would have loved to have seen the inside but Sunday was the one day it was closed to public touring due to services being held.



Look at that MASSIVE cemetery in the background.
If you enlarge the photo you can see a political painting on that building. I'm glad we visited during peaceful times.

The first Catholic church built outside the city walls.

The Presbyterian church although to me it looks more like a city hall or something like that.



More pretty pretty.....


Plenty of signs to stop and read to learn the history.


The Guildhall in the background. At this point we had almost walked the entire wall.



Miss Clodagh! Where did you learn to put your hands on your hips?!


At this point we went to the mall called Foyleside. It was a proper mall with three levels and lots of shops. We first headed to Starbucks to get some eats and drinks. Unfortunately Clodagh decided this might be a good time for a meltdown so poor Darryl and Sinead had their hands full. They ended up leaving for home as there was no pacifying her. It was too bad since there were many deals to be had and I know Sinead had been wanting to shop! Toddlers!
Keith and I stayed and browsed a bit, bought a few bits and pieces and then decided to call it a day.
On the way home we stopped at the Centra which is one of their grocery store chains for some restoring gin to boost Sinead and Darryl's spirits. I waited in the car with the boys as Keith ran inside and had to take a picture of this sign. I always got a hoot out of their lingo!


We got home to find dinner all ready and made for us. Thanks you two! Pizza and a big delicious salad hit the spot. The gin soothed everyone's nerves and we were able to kick back and relax. After dinner, Sinead's very good friend Joanne stopped by so I could meet her. Again, so nice to put a face to a name I had heard so much about. We had a great visit.
It was starting to hit home that we would BE home in a few days. It was definitely a bittersweet feeling.

2 comments:

Lovella ♥ said...

As My guy was heading out this moring to do chores. . .I called him back to see your pictures. ..(again). You did such a great job of making me want to go too.

All the quaint towns. . the cemetery .. the boxwood maze and the gardens. . .roads .. paths ..
Oh and yes your garden looks wonderful too .. as well as the summer supper. . .all good.

Anonymous said...

I've missed reading about your adventures while I was away all week.

Derry looks like a very interesting place to visit. Better add it to my 'Must-See' list. :)