Thursday, August 20, 2009

North West Washington Fair, Lynden WA

My mom made me an offer I could not refuse. She offered to take Liam for the day so I could take the boys to the Lynden Fair. Thank you so much, Mom!
Kori and Blake decided to come along too, so we set out this morning to the fair in the beautiful sunshine. I hadn't been to this fair since I was about 14 years old so I was excited to see how it had changed...or not!
Here we are waiting for the free shuttle to take us to the fair.


Chad standing in front of a VERY pregnant cow. I think birth was imminent.


Antique tractors.


Of course, a fire engine.



Nate, Chad and Blake. They are all great buds.


Chad was thrilled to touch a turtle. He loves them and wants one for a pet.


Why is it that fair food always smells better than it tastes? Chad and I had a corn dog which was tasty. I like one about every 5 years or so. We also shared some mini donuts and an elephant ear. Yeah....the memory of these tasty treats is just that. A memory. They didn't impress me today. Maybe my taste buds are so 'mature' that these things are just not for me anymore!

Each one got a chance to sit on a State Patrol bike.



My dad generously gave the boys each some cash to spend as they liked. They chose to play a midway game. I was surprised they actually hit the targets with a baseball and won a prize! Good job guys.

The kids spent some of the money on sweets. Of course. The rest they are saving up for going to the USA next week.




All the produce displayed for judging.


Yes, even vegetable creations have a place at the fair.


The flower displays were lovely.


I decided I wanted dahlias in my garden until I was told that you have to dig up the bulbs each fall.

The poultry barn was amusing. Those funny little roosters made such a racket and some had the craziest hair dos!

No boys.....no chickens as pets! Blake was a good sport about going into all the animal barns. His allergies were on high alert!


Kori and I trying to be very serious for our pose.

Having a bit of fun with milk in the agricultural display.

You could buy an ice cold carton of milk (plain or chocolate) for only .50 cents!
A fake cow with real milk...how fun is that?!



By about 3:30 we had seen it all, ate it all and were sweaty and tired. We decided to head home. Here the boys are patiently waiting for our shuttle bus.





It was a fun day. We ended off with some delicious ice cream cones at Edaleen Dairy on the way home. Cheese and butter were purchased as well.
And that my friends was our day at Lynden Fair. Won't be back for a while....once every decade is probably more than enough!


Liam did great at my mom's. He only screamed for about 45 minutes at nap time but otherwise did awesome. Good thing he's beginning to like her because he's going to be seeing A LOT of her in the very near future!

10 comments:

Stephanie said...

I love that picture of Liam at the end. His hair is growing and so is he :) What a doll.

Kori's House said...

Good Post, You covered it all!
Thanks for letting us tag along. I hadn't been in many years either :)

villagegirl said...

That thing about the dahlias is a farce. I had them at our old place for 7 years and didn't dig them up once! I miss having them - they are spectacular flowers and I need to find a place to put some here.
We love going to the fair. You are right though about the food. It is what it is. we had the pizza this year and it was pretty good but then we were starving by that time!
I love that pic of Liam. He is just SO gorgeous!

Murray and Tracy said...

Fun times. I have never been to the Lynden Fair. Maybe next year. I love all the pictures.

Keri's Collage... said...

Sounds like a good day...too bad you missed the music show! That's the best part!
You are so right about the food...they entice you with the smell of BBQ's smoking and fries cooking and then it tastes like grease!
Next time have the cheesecake on a stick :)

Anonymous said...

I've never been to that fair but always wanted to check it out. Now I feel like I have. Thanks! :)

QuiltNut Creations said...

was probably the same age as you last time i went down to the fair. we had a great time

and same as villagegirl-i've never ever dug up my dahlia bulbs. and they come back every year

Lovella ♥ said...

What are the odds you figure of us both being there the same day. . .once a decade and not seeing each other once. I would have loved to run into you .. .I would have recognized the boys for sure.
I love it that your dad gave them spending money.
Oh . . .and about the food. .yes my taste buds were off with a cold but still . .not the way I thought it would be. . .aside from that coffee fudge almond icecream. . .I can't believe I ate the whole thing.
We left by 2 ish .. and went to Target. . .Costco . .and Olive Garden.

PS. . thanks for participating in my enquiry today. . .I was quite amused by the answers.

Anneliese said...

Next year, if our grandkids are home, I want to take them to this fair. I hope I don't forget. It looks like so much fun!

Fiona said...

So, when does Chad get his pet turtle? ;)