Monday, September 14, 2009

Take a Hike!

After a great church service yesterday we had an empty afternoon ahead of us. The sun was warm and I had an urge to get out and enjoy the remains of summer. Keith decided that his back could handle a hike so we set off to do one of our favorite trails up to Westminster Abbey.

If you have never done this hike, I would highly recommend it. The trailhead starts at Heritage Park in Mission and is a fairly easy hike that takes just over an hour both ways. It was pretty hot even in the shade and we worked up quite a sweat. Keith was stung by a wasp just before this picture. He wasn't impressed!

Finally we reached our destination! I can't get enough of this place....so beautiful and peaceful.

Liam had a good graze across his cheeky from a tree branch that Keith had to duck under on the trail. He stood up before he was completely pass it and Liam took a good whack. Thankfully there were no tears but he's looking a little worse for wear.


My brother came with us which thrilled the boys to no end. He's their hero.

Keith's got a sweaty back...icky! We were all quite sticky. We had a long rest to get some energy for the hike back down again.


The bells chimed for about 20 minutes while we were there. Such a lovely sound.

The boys at the seminary were all walking to afternoon vespers. I would have loved to have peeked in on the service but there are strict about no shorts in the sanctuary.

A perfect Sunday afternoon.


Years ago, we had a tour of the inside of the buildings. I wonder if they still do that?
Before we headed back down to the trail we stopped at the view point. I told Nathan this is where many men take their girlfriends to get engaged. He took this information seriously...perhaps has it stored in memory for a future event (a very far in the future event mind you!).



The hike back down was long....very long. At one point I had a turn to get stung by a wasp on my back. That hurts like the dickens!!
It was a fabulous day though. Keith and I had a nice soak in the hot tub last night to ease our out of shape muscles.
I hope you all enjoyed the fabulous weather this weekend as well!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

What you told Nathan about the viewpoint was much nicer than when I was young and my parents told me about how one of the monks fell to his death there!

Aren't hot tubs marvelous? We've been enjoying ours more since the weather has cooled down a bit.

Kerry said...

Beautiful pictures. Sucks about the wasp stings though. And funny you mentioned that about the viewpoint...I believe my sister Ali got engaged there.

Kori's House said...

What a great day. I was sad to have missed it.
I'd like to know who handled the pain best... You, Keith or Liam :)

Great pictures. I can't believe how pretty the flowers still look!

Keri's Collage... said...

SO beautiful!
I'm sorry we missed it to, I may NEVER get there :(

villagegirl said...

Gorgeous! We've never done that hike. It might be a little long for the boys at this point but one day!!
Too bad about the wasps. B could sympathize well with you!

Fiona said...

I can't believe I've never known about this hike. Might be too chilly out now to do it, but will have to remember that once Spring rolls around.