Sunday, November 18, 2012

Warm As Toast

I went downstairs on Friday morning and thought the house seemed a bit chilly.  I put the thermostat up to 20 degrees and after a few minutes nothing happened.  So I furiously started pushing all the buttons and decided that our programmable thermostat probably needed fresh batteries.  So amidst the morning rush of getting out the door I was prying off the cover and popping in new batteries.  At this point the program on the furnace was going to put the temperature back down for the day so off we went and I didn't give it another thought. 
When I got home that afternoon I noticed the house had a definite chill.  I went to check the read-out and it was a brisk 18 degrees.  Keith had been in and out all day and hadn't really noticed the house being so cold.  At this point I knew it was not good news.  We went to actually go and look at the old beast to find the pilot light out.  After calling my friend (who's hubby is a HVAC technician) and trying his advice we were still without our furnace.  The pilot light would NOT stay lit.  Thankfully we have our gas fireplace and our bedrooms upstairs all have electric baseboard heaters.  This morning Keith did a bit more research on the internet (what ever did we DO before Google?!) and found that it could simply be a case of needing a new thermocoupler.  Not sure what that is precisely but I do know that one's furnace needs one to work!  This part cost us all of $10 and Keith was able to replace it easily.  Thank goodness!  So we are all toasty warm and happy that we avoided a nasty expense right before Christmas.
The End.
 

4 comments:

Terry said...

As long as you don't burn the toast.

villagegirl said...

Yay for heat! I'm so glad it was an easy and inexpensive fix. Those are the best. :)

Anonymous said...

What a relief that it was a cheap and easy fix.

QuiltNut Creations said...

Glad Kieth was able to fix it. We are currently getting a new roof; Merry Christmas to us! :p