Tuesday, June 01, 2010

I Like Clean


I just read the most interesting book. This book was all about the history of personal cleanliness. Fascinating stuff. I didn't realize that daily bathing/showering is a fairly modern concept that was really only started in the early to mid 20th century. You might think it very stinky back in the old days but they all stank so no one really noticed.
The author explores it all from Roman baths, to 17th century France (when cleaning one's self meant putting on a clean linen shirt), to public bath houses of Europe. There was a time when Europeans thought that the layers of dirt on their skin protected them from disease and would not let water come near it!
It doesn't read like a history text book. Ashenburg has filled the book with unique anecdotes, facts, stories, illustrations and photographs.
It was a random pick off of the library shelf for me but a winner. I recommend!

6 comments:

Kerry said...

I can't imagine not taking a shower every day. Here, taking a weekly shower is more "normal" than a daily shower...but that's only in the rural areas where they don't have running water. Never thought a layer of dirt would protect me from diseases. Yuck!!

villagegirl said...

That sounds like a very interesting read! I've always wondered what life would have been like 'back then'. I'm glad God chose me to be born in this modern age. As much as I wish people/life were more genteel and polite as it was back then, I don't think I could live without running water and deoderant. :)

Colleen said...

I remember reading this book written in the fifties for teenagers that had been my mom's. It recommended that if you wanted to be attractive to the opposite sex you should keep up with personal hygiene and bath once a week. I know! Hilarious and alarming.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fascinating book. I'm going to have to get my hands on it!

QuiltNut Creations said...

just picked it up from the library tonight

Terry said...

If the trend continues, we will be showering every ten minutes in the near future and wondering how we ever lived with each other in the days when we showered only once a day. Excuse me while I go take a shower.