Saturday, May 28, 2011

Yeast is my Enemy

I had a total bake day failure today. Sooo frustrating! I had it in my mind to attempt two recipes from the new MGCC cookbook. Zwieback and doughnuts. Quite ambitious for me as I had never made either before AND I don't often have luck with yeast baking. And once again the yeast baking and I did not end well.
The doughnuts LOOK good but are heavy and dense and really not fit for consumption. As I handled the dough it felt tough....I had a feeling that was not a good sign. The dark ones were my first attempt until I got the oil temperature just right!



My dough for the zwieback didn't rise well (it was fresh yeast even!). The 'pinching' off technique was tricky and I just because frustrated with it all!
And see my FLAT as pancake buns? I am going to hang up my apron and give yeast baking a pass for a while. Five hours in the kitchen with two failures is not very encouraging!

8 comments:

Keri's Collage... said...

Don't quit Rach! You will get the hang of it!
I am wondering what kind of flour you are using. I swear it makes a difference.

Stephanie said...

What is the best kind of flour to use, Keri?

Rachel, 5 hours in the kitchen and not a lot to show for it would be discouraging. I feel your pain!

Terry said...

That is too bad for sure. I usually want samples. :)

villagegirl said...

oh no! Frustrating indeed! Are zwiebach not really any different than buns? I have a fantastic bun recipe that works every time. With whatever flour you've got.
Ugh, I'm sorry. I hate when that happens, especially because baking is usually so enjoyable!
What if you smothered all of it in chocolate? Would that help? :)

Keri's Collage... said...

Stephanie...I just switched to 'Rogers' and it is amazing!

Trace said...

Ohh I feel your pain with yeast baking!!

Kimberly said...

Well, you're leaps and bounds ahead of me... my kids have baked with yeast and I never have! It's sad, I know, but I wouldn't want to discourage the budding chefs in my house by getting in their way in the kitchen!

(And thanks for the invite!)

Anonymous said...

I used to hate yeast baking but somehow I've mastered it over the years. (Now if I could just master pastry!)

Even when homemade donuts turn out I never feel as though they are worth all the effort. It's so much easier just to pick some up at Tim Horton's. :)