Friday, August 05, 2011

Honesty Doesn't Pay...Literally

So my EI claim was denied this summer.
Last year when I filed my EI application I stated that I would look for summer employment. I certainly did NOT intend to look for employment but knew that I would probably be denied unless I agree to do so. I received EI that summer.
This summer, I filed for my EI and decided to be completely honest and say that I would not look for work and I stated reasons of vacation and lack of child care. Well, these are not 'valid' reasons and I have been denied my claim.
The lady on the phone was very nice and basically told me that if I ever wanted EI in the future (over summer) that I had to be 'ready and willing to work' for a job in my expertise.
It's just all so stupid. Here I have a job to go back to in 6 weeks. WHO in their right mind is going to hire me (in an admin type position), train me, work around my hours of availability all to see me go in a few weeks???
Ranted completed.

5 comments:

villagegirl said...

You shall reap the rewards of being honest later.
At least that's what 'they' say! :)

Heather said...

Brings up an interesting ethical dilmna. The system seems flawed, so do you lie to beat the system or do you keep being honest?

Heather said...

oops - sorry for the typo....

Kori's House said...

VERY flawed system!
I'd say your willing to work next year... just happens to be on your terms. Is that in the fine print :)

Stephanie said...

Yes, you're willing to work IF you can find an employer who will take you for 6 weeks . . . surely they know that isn't likely to happen :)