Sunday, August 21, 2011

What's in a Name?


Growing up, I called each set of my grandparents by a different name. As my mom's parents were immigrants to Canada they were automatically Oma & Opa with their German heritage. My dad's parents were born in Canada so were called the more generic Grandma and Grandpa. I like that I could differentiate between the two by their unique titles.
When it came time to chose what names I wanted Nathan to called his grandparents I had something a bit unconventional in mind. My parents kindly went along with my suggestion to be called Nana and Grandad. You see, when I in elementary school I had a very close friend named Gillian. She was of English background and was very close to her English grandparents. These were some of the kindest people I had ever met. They were grandparents like no other. My own grandparents were a bit distant and I was not super close to them, nor felt very comfortable in their presence. I don't know why this was...but it was! My friend Gillian had her grandparents wrapped around her little finger and they would indulge her requests with kind smiles and pats on the head. They even had me to their wonderful home in North Vancouver for a weekend where they spoiled us silly and truly treated me as a royal guest. I have the best memories of them. So back to the story...
Gillian called them Nanny and Grandad and so in hopes my children would have that type of relationship with their grandparents I wanted them called the same. Nana was a good compromise as nanny didn't really suit my mom!
Keith's parents are the traditional Grandpa and Grandma which suits them just fine.
So, what do you (or did you) call your grandparents? And is there any special significance to their name?

4 comments:

villagegirl said...

Mine were Oma and Opa, Omi. I don't know the reason for the difference between Oma and Omi but that's how it was!
My oldest niece made it easy and called my mom Sweetie Grandma (and Grandpa) and it stuck. The oldest on B's side came up with Gummer for Grandpa and his mom is Nana.
Even if you've decided what your grandchildren will call you, sometimes they change it!

Jennie said...

My were Nanny and Gramps and Granny, No tradional names for me! My kids have a Nana and Papa John, Gramma Val and Grandpa Lorne and a Grandma and Grandpa...BUT I want to be called Oma!! :)

Anonymous said...

My mom's parents were known as Oma & Opa and my dad's mom was known as Grandma.

When we had Cam I really wanted my parents to be called Oma & Opa to carry on the German/Mennonite tradition but they would have none of it. Once Cam could talk my parents became Grandpa George & Grandma Marge while Gary's parents became Grandpa Mark & Grandma Shirley. But my kids have been known to call my parents Oma & Opa on occasion...just to tease them. :)

Trace said...

On my Mum's side it was Nana and Pop and on Dad's side it was Granny and Grandad. With Lincoln we decided to let the Grandparents decide what to be called. My Mum and Step Dad chose Nana and Pa. Dylan's Mum and Step Dad chose Nana and Pop. His Dad and Step Mum chose Grandad and Nana and my Dad chose Grandad. So it's Nana all the way! :)