Thursday, September 01, 2011

B-O-R-I-N-G

How does a 'classic' become a classic? Who decides these things anyways? What is the criteria? I am reading the classic 'Anna Karenina'. It's very long and very boring and I'd like to know how it ever became a classic. I am half done and since I usually finish the books I start I am dragging myself to the end of it. I confess that I am skim reading sections and hoping for it to better but am definitely not getting my hopes up on that one!
Next on the list are Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights! Let's hope they are more interesting.

7 comments:

Trace said...

I think I gave up at 10 pages in! HA! I also have War and Peace here too that I gave up on around 10 pages as well. :)

Anonymous said...

I've never attempted Anna Karenina...and probably never will. I have read both Jane Eyre and Wuthering Heights though.

villagegirl said...

That is a good question. I've wondered about that book as it's been referred to in many books that I've read. Thank you for the warning! I think i'll skip it. :)
I have Wuthering Heights on my list too!

cayman77 said...

Have never read these books- but loved the movie- Anna K- I am anxious to see Jane Eyre the movie!

Canadian Kristin said...

lol
You are the second friend of mine slogging her way through this book. Sorry, it doesn't get more interesting. :-P

white girl said...

It took me about a year and a half to get through Anna Karenina. It was awful. I asked the same question from friends of mine with literature degrees. Seems that the Russian genre of writing is bent towards the dark, tragic, historical. Not the typical enjoyment read. Jane Eyre is MUCH better! And so is Wuthering Heights. Don't despair!

Rachel said...

I'm finally done! I skimmed a lot of it. It was dark, tragic and horrible. Just dull.
Will never read Tolstoy again!