Saturday, August 09, 2008

A Day Away

Keith and I took the boys down to Everett today. When we were in Seattle back in June we stayed in a hotel across the street from the Boeing Plant. We decided that we would come back and do the tour with the kids this summer as a special treat. And we did.
The tour was really interesting! After seeing how very safely these planes are built I hope I can be a more confident flyer, but I have my doubts.
Did you know?
-there are 19 restaurants in the plant for the workers to eat at
-they have their own mini-hospital
-they have their own dry cleaners
-there are 15 plus Tully's coffee shops. Starbucks lost the bid because they wanted their name up on the sign outside with Boeing!
-workers get around on bikes and if they go over 7 mph they get a ticket! These tickets can be fought in their own on site traffic court.
I wish we could have brought cameras along but they were VERY strict about no pictures.....I mean I think they would have taken you down with a pistol if you would have whipped one out. There were no purses, cell phones, camera, electronic devices, etc allowed whatsoever. They made it VERY clear. They also made it VERY clear that there were NO bathrooms on the 90 minute tour at all. This completely stressed me out. I know I can hold it that long but when you are told there is no chance of using a bathroom when you are 8 months pregnant then of course your bladder plays tricks on you. I had a panic attack over it in the beginning of the tour and then I slowly started to relax. I told myself that I needed to pee, I'd just pee my pants! HAH! Well that worked....mind games. Yes, next stop the local psych ward for me.

We also did a little bit of shopping while we were in the States (of course). But didn't really find many incredible deals. C'est la vie.

After the tour we were all starving. All we had for lunch was two caramel apples split between us and a granola bar. We took the boys down to Mukilteo and to Ivar's restaurant for supper. We got a window seat this time and had a wonderful view of the ferry dropping off and picking up passengers. The kids were really happy with their food and the restaurant. Nathan was especially impressed (I think the basket of warm sourdough bread did it) and told me he wished that Canada had an Ivar's. Keith and I both had a cup of their delicious clam chowder (only my second time having it....I LOVE it!) and shared a plate of fish and chips. This time we upgraded to halibut and it was worth every dollar. Delicious fish!

So now we are home. The kids are sawing logs and dreaming about Boeing 747s and seafood :)

6 comments:

Stephanie said...

Oh my goodness. This is a place we will have to take our boy as soon as possible. He is a flying junkie. Thanks for sharing all that trivia too. I had no idea the plant was sooo huge!

Keri's Collage... said...

Very interesting! I have heard lots of cool stuff about this place, but your info was all new!
Lunch sounds delish! I wish my family were seafood lovers :(
We also took a trip South yesterday but we just shopped and we found tons of great deals!

QuiltNut Creations said...

we've wanted to take the boys on that tour too-didn't know about all those rules though lol. looks like you had a fabulous day

Anonymous said...

I've never had a desire to go to the Boeing plant...until now! You made it sound so interesting.

And fish and chips?? Well, I'm in! :)

Jenn said...

My boys would love that... You are so cute and pregnant. Pregnancy looks so good on you... Maybe you should consider just one more after this?!

Fiona said...

My friends' hubby works there and he loves it. Looks fun and I never would've said that before seeing your post. Cool!