Monday, February 16, 2009

A Weight Lifted

Nathan has had a huge and hideous Canadian history project on the go since mid-January. It's caused great stress all the way from selecting his topic to finding materials to the actual completion last night. Ugh...how I despise it when school work interferes with family life.
Chad has been beside himself with boredom without his brother to play with for the past while. I've confiscated the PlayStation so that wasn't a temptation too. It's been simply yucky.
But the project is handed in now and we're FREE from the pressure. Feels pretty darn good!
I bet you didn't know that the light bulb was actually invented by two Canadians! I didn't. They sold the patent to Thomas Edison because they didn't have the money to actually manufacture or improve their invention. Yes....things you should know.
There is completed report, backboard and display. You can't see the wooden box too well and I should have taken a photo of the inside. Nathan has about 20 samples of different things that were tried as filaments for the light bulb. I hope he gets a decent grade. The instructions of how to complete this project were sort of vague so Keith decided we would just do it our way. Oh dear!

While Keith and Nate were finishing this yesterday, I went for a nice walk with Chad, Liam and my parents. It was too gorgeous to sit inside. The sun was warm and the sky bright blue. Beautiful!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always feel that projects of this sort are a sinister way for teachers to punish parents. ;) Oh, and I did know that about the light bulb. I know, I'm a smarty pants. Hee, hee.

Keri's Collage... said...

Ugh! I hate projects!
Where did you walk?? I don't recognize that boardwalk!

Kori's House said...

Great job on the project!! It looks like an A+ to me!

Heather said...

I'm with you...I detest, abhor, get the shiveries when I think of school projects...Are my feelings coming across?? :) It definitely looks like you're going to get an "A" on yours though, so don't worry!

Terry said...

Next time I flick on the light switch, I will think of Nathan and his project. I think if Keith would done something on it, it would have turned out even better. :)

Anneliese said...

One thing I don't miss is those projects! Maybe I shouldn't say that, thinking about how many years you have to go!

Fiona said...

probably a good idea to get out of the house while the project's being finished ... but it looked like it turned out well for all of you.

Anonymous said...

It always amazed me how the expectation was that the kid's project was really designed to be a parent's project...and it is called "education"...for who? I ask. I am so glad to be passed that many years ago. Poor kids who work hard on this stuff and don't have parents involved...your kids are very fortunate. Good work D. family!