Friday, March 19, 2010

It's ALL Growing!

The view from the top of my 'mountain'.

Before I had a yard of my own I never paid much attention to plants, flowers and the like. Sure flowers were pretty but that's about the extent my my thoughts towards them. Now I am going into my 4th season of having my own garden to tend to, I am ever amazed at how plants just somehow know it's spring and come up without any help from me. Over the past four years I have made many unwise plant purchases...most have died because I have not done my research about where they should live, what they might to 'eat' or what type of climate they are suited for. The previous home owner had mostly hardy perennials and I have come to appreciate them very much because they just keep coming back every spring...so dependable! My mom is very 'green thumb-ish' and she's been helping me loads in the garden. She makes many wise suggestions, recommends pruning, transplants things, and helps me buy 'smart' when I go to the nursery.
These past two sunny days we've both been tidying up the garden and it's looking really spiffy now. We've killed the moss, limed the lawn, edged the beds, planted sweet peas, put in a few new plants, pulled out a few dead plants, pruned shrubs & trees, weeded, and used plenty of Round-Up! Gardening isn't as easy as it looks...at least in my opinion. It takes lots of work and good research to have a good looking garden!
The rhubarb is coming along well. I adore rhubarb desserts and can't wait to pick some and make me some lovely crumble with it!
The lamb's ears is growing well. This stuff does really well at my place. Must like my soil or something?!
Oh look....I missed pruning this freakish limb out of my cherry tree!
Some pretty flower that comes up ever year...thank you previous owner.
This trellis fell down mid-winter in a wind storm. It was so entangled with clematis and rose vines that to repair it I had to chop it all out so Keith could nail the trellis back on the fence. So now that back corner is nicely cleaned up and the plants will have a nice fresh start this year.
I planted three bunches of these bulbs last fall. So glad I did as they are a cheery addition to an early spring garden.
And lastly my chives are growing like crazy. They got a haircut today and we ate the trimmings in our pasta for supper! Yum.

6 comments:

Kerry said...

That looks great!! I love gardening, but don't have a green thumb at all...your Mom sounds like my Mom. She's very helpful and good at it. I love that you planted chives in a pot...I'm gonna try that. :)

Terry said...

Never thought I would see the day. Another gardener in the family!

Colleen said...

It's gorgeous! Definitely helps to have a built-in mom to help out that's for sure! And I can't wait to see what rad rhubarb desserts you concoct. Yeah, I said it: rad. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so jealous of your yard. (Living where I do I frequently get severe bouts of yard envy.) I've just been itching to get out and start working on our lawn and such, but we're still getting frost some mornings so it will be awhile yet. In the meantime I'll just enjoy the pictures of your yard. :)

Jenn said...

Good job! I really like your yard and wishing that I could sit in your hot tub right now... I'm loving being out in the garden again. Our yard needs a ton of work to deliver it from blackberry thorns. We have three raised beds though that I'm prepping to plant a veggie garden in. Very exciting!!

Fiona said...

Beautiful! Great job, Rachel ... and previous owner. :)