Friday, March 18, 2011

Bring On the Teens!

March 18, 1998
13 days past my due date
23 hours of labour
3 hours of pushing
15 minute c-section
and we became first time parents of the most adorable little boy we had ever laid our eyes on.
It was quite a scary and overwhelming experience getting Nathan here but he was completely worth it! Somehow 13 years have flown by and now we have this gangly, tall and handsome boy-man on our hands. What a delight Nathan has been! He so great and I love spending time with him. He's so gentle, kind, loving and helpful. When I think about the teen years ahead of Nathan I am excited for him and can't wait for him to enjoy all the privileges and responsibilities as the transition from boy to adult takes place.

Happy Birthday to our finest Nate!

Nathan was the most delightful baby new parents could ask for. Just a happy little guy all the time.
He was happy to get a new playmate a few years later and the transition to being big brother was very smooth. Nathan is Chad's hero...has been from the get-go!
Nathan was a keen student of the Wee College program and received a firm foundation in God's word at an early age.
He was a natural in front of the camera from early on. Now he feels quite at home up on the stage much to our surprise and delight!

He still knows how to be silly and have fun.
He's a loyal friend. His best buddy and him have been tight since they were 2.5 years old!

He's proven himself to be an excellent traveller and has enjoyed a trip to Ireland at 11 years old! What an awesome privilege!

Every birthday has been celebrated in style. He's extremely easy to please as far as birthdays go.
He's been more like a parent than a brother to Liam. Liam adores Nathan and the feeling is entirely mutual. It's the most amazing relationship and we love watching it develop stronger with each passing year.

Nathan treats me like gold. When Keith tickles me or 'play' fights or chases me and I scream, that boy will come RUNNING and beat off his father. He won't have a bad thing said about me in his presence. He would never say anything to hurt my feelings. He still hugs and kisses me before bed every night.

What a blessing Nathan is to all those who know him! Thank you Lord for sending him to our family!


9 comments:

Kerry said...

He sounds like a wonderful son...I look forward to meeting him some day. :) Happy Birthday Nathan!!

(I can't believe your doctors let you have such a long labor and then 3 hours pushing before deciding to do a c-section!)

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute! Nate sounds completely amazing. You've clearly done an excellent job of parenting.

Welcome to the teen years Nate! :)

Karis said...

Congrats on raising an awesome son thus far!

Terry said...

What a great tribute to a great son! As his grandfather, I will vouch for everything Rachel said about him. I showed a photo of him to a stranger the other day and she said that she thought he took after me. That gave me a really warm feeling. I have always seen a lot of me in him, but a much improved version. What's not to love? Happy Birthday!

villagegirl said...

What a lovely tibute to a great boy! He's everything you could ask for! Happy Birthday Nathan!

sultana said...

Everything you said is so true. I'm so thankful also for the blessing that he has been to us !

Fiona said...

Awww, what a great write up about your son. I LOVE that first picture of him. He looks like he's ready to charge! Awesome. You've obviously done a few things right in the parenting department. Congrats.

Jenn said...

Aw, that made me teary! What a special guy you are Nathan. Happy 13th Nathan!!

QuiltNut Creations said...

happy belated!