Monday, March 21, 2011

Going Underground


Today's special outing was a combination of spring break treat and a reward for excellent report cards.
We had so many options for a day out that were weather dependant and since it was raining all day it definitely narrowed down the choices. We chose to head to the BC Mining Museum at Britannia Beach. The boys REALLY enjoyed it. I was relieved because sometimes these things are hit or miss. Happily this was a definite HIT.

We hung out with the old guys.
They were kinda quiet.
It was so wet but that's west coast living. You must just get on with it.
Waiting for our trip into the depths of the earth.
Ready to roll!
A VERY loud demonstration in the mine. They also shut off all the lights so we could experience what it was like without electric lights in there like 1904!
Lots of artifacts and mining equipment on the site.

They have made many improvements at the museum since we were there last (1995!) and it's all first class. The admission prices reflect that :) Thankfully we had a 2 for 1 coupon which helped out a bit.


The boys enjoyed panning for gold very much. I ended up going back into the building to look more closely at the mementos and whatnot as it was a bit cold out there for me. They panned for almost an hour and came away with a few flakes of gold and some pretty stones.


The mine closed in 1974. One fact I remembered from the tour. The guide was a man who had actually worked at the mine for a long time. He was a wealth of information and you could tell he really loved his job. It makes tours so much more enjoyable when the guide is enthusiastic and not just quoting from a script.


On the way home we stopped for supper at East Side Mario's in Langley. Ever been there? Don't bother. I'd sum up the food as 'meh'. It was a nice treat to discover that kids eat free on Mondays so at least Chad's meal was on the house. Always a bonus.
All in all it was a great day. Now back to work for us. Guess what? More packing!




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I still have a souvenir rock from that mine from an elementary school field trip...and lots of fond memories.

As for East Side Marios, I've eaten at 2 different ESM 4 times and gotten violently ill 3 of those times. Needless to say, I'm not a fan.

Fiona said...

Cool! And even better that it was a hit with the boys. I can see how those things can be a hit or miss. My Little Sister was telling me how kids eat free at ESM (12 and under, right?) but now I'm not so sure if I want to take her there ...

sultana said...

I'd love to see the gold and pretty rocks !

QuiltNut Creations said...

I've never been here; plan on taking the family this summer. it looks like fun.

Kori's House said...

It looks like you made the best of a rainy day!!
1995 was the last time you were there? Crazy cuz I actually remember you going :)

I've heard that about ESM before so I will be staying away for sure!

villagegirl said...

That's so cool! We've driven by and thought it would be fun to check out.
I've never been to ESM but now I've been warned. :)

Kerry said...

What a great outing!!