Saturday, January 14, 2012

Gone Squirrelly Yet?

In my endevour to bring up my kids on nutrious food I have discovered a great new bread.  I'm sure many of you have heard of Squirrelly Bread that is made by Silver Hills Farms.
My mom has been eating it for years but I never really paid much attention to it.  I don't often eat bread or toast.  As a side note, I have an attraction to unhealthy and soft white bread which I almost never buy.  But I will always order white toast if we eat breakfast out!
Anyhow, I have always bought my toast-loving family regular old brown bread from either Superstore (their own brand) or McGavin's three pack from Costco.  This bread is pretty blah....nutritionally and taste-wise. 
Even though I knew how much healthier Squirrelly Bread was, I was put off by the price.  It runs between $3.50 - $4 per loaf!  
I didn't really realize that you could buy the bread directly from the outlet for $1.50 per loaf.  They are their 'seconds' so perhaps they were sliced imperfectly or the loaf is slightly misshapen but they are 100% still edible.  I went to the outlet last week and picked up 9 loaves for $13.50.  You can't even get the regular blah bread from Costco for that price!
So I am pleased that my family is eating highly nutritious bread and I am able to do it on a dime.
They have many other types of bread I am looking forward to trying as well.  Check out their website  www.silverhillsbakery.ca/.

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

That's an amazing price for bread. Do they have outlets on the island?

Kori's House said...

I don't eat much bread either but when I do... love the whole grain bread with peanut butter. YUM!

Do you remember the girls from work carpooling over to the outlet to pick up bread??

I wish I had room in my freezer for 9 loaves!

villagegirl said...

Yes, I have heard of these amazing prices! I love bread with 'stuff' in it. My family, not so much, so I tend to buy 'their' bread because I don't eat much bread either! I've always hesitated with the squirrely bread because it seems so dry but I think what it is, is the double freezing of it when you get it at the store as opposed to fresh from the outlet. I think I'm do for a trip!

Anonymous said...

My mom is hooked on Silver Hills bread and bought us some once. But the loaves she bought us weren't the Squirrelly ones. I can't remember what they were but they were gross.

White Girl said...

Good deal! Wow! I love the hearty breads, but am often turned off by the high price tags as well.

Colleen said...

I wish we had an outlet here! But ne'ertheless Squirrelly bread is my favourite and since I am the only one who eats it I pack it away in my freezer squirrel style and enjoy it at leisure. I love how the sesame seeds on the outside get all roasty tasting when toasted. My FAVE! And high five for the awesome sale!

Terry said...

After all this publicity, good luck finding any more seconds when you go there. :)