Monday, January 09, 2012

New Things

This past weekend, Nathan had an appointment to get contact lenses.  This was more my idea than his and I was to find out that this did not help the process.  I don't have glasses or contacts so my knowledge of all things related to vision correction is limited.  I thought popping in a contact would be a breeze. 
We were told thta the appointment could take up to 90 minutes.  They would not let Nate leave with the contacts until he could properly insert and remove them.  So we get there and I was a bit disappointed to have a trainee looking after us.  And a trainee with limited English skills.  This was the first strike against us.   We had to first watch a 10 minute video and then it would be time to practice.  So, after the video, the contacts were set in front of Nathan and he was told to just start trying.  The fitter didn't say much...he tried to be encouraging but it wasn't doing much good.  With each failed attempt Nate got more and more frustrated and I got more and more tense.  After a good 30 minutes of this, Nate pretty much gave up.  He told me this wasn't his idea in the first place and he didn't want to try anymore.  So I handed him back his glasses and told him we were getting out of there.  Well, he didn't like that either and said he would try one more time.  Meanwhile the fitter had left the room mumbling about 'our chemistry' not working together.  As Nate was about to attempt it for the final time we had an  experienced professional come into the room (which the trainee had run out to find...thank goodness!) and the whole atmosphere changed.  He was so encouraging, positive and upbeat.  He made Nate want to try again and gave me hope.  At this point I coudn't even watch anymore.  Lo and behold, Nate popped it in his eye and had success! THEN, the fitter realized that Nathan had the incorrect prescription lens and so Nate would have to take it out and put in the proper one.  Sheesh! So he removed it first attempt...again success!  After that it took a few tries but he was able to get them both inserted with many helpful tips from the fitter.  Then they tested his vision and it was all good.  I could tell at this point that Nate was still not sold on the idea as his eyes were adjusting to the lenses.  We left the opticians and I told Nate that after that stressful 90 minutes we both needed a drink and if he had been 19 years old I would have taken him for a beer.  He was aghast and said he didn't ever want a beer :)  It was cute.  I offered a blizzard from DQ in lieu and that put a big grin on his face.  As we drove home he started to grudingly admit he was enjoying not having glasses, and it was pretty cool to be able to see without glasses on his face.  Hmmmmm...I told him that he could say 'Mom, you were right' at anytime!
So, I'm glad that's behind us...I proud of us both!

5 comments:

Terry said...

I hope the process will continue to get easier for him.

villagegirl said...

Oh goodness! Well, I'm glad to hear that it all worked out. I got mine in grade 9 and was SO happy to have them - it does become second nature!

Anonymous said...

I got contacts when I was 20 and never regretted it. My girls on the other hand have both had a go at contacts and neither of them ended up sticking with it. It sounds like Nate's going to be really happy with his!

Trace said...

I'm glad it worked out in the end! :)

White Girl said...

What an ordeal! But it's all worth it in the end with the reward of a blizzard. I would drop a blender on my toe for a blizzard... just sayin'.