Monday, September 03, 2012

China Meets Canada

It's been a while since I've posted but not for lack of blogging material but simply the time and desire to do it.
Our fourth child William joined us this past weekend from Inner Mongolia, China.
I hate this part of the homestay program.  Getting him settled and comfortable is awkward, challenging and nerve-wracking.  Really not my forte.  Keith is much better at this part and I'm glad he's stepped up to the plate to take over.  Food is definitely going to be the main challenge as his English is fair.  So far we have found out that he never drinks cold beverages or eats cold foods and he doesn't like sweets.  Hmmmm.  I do hope we can find something he can eat for breakfast.
William's parents personally brought him to Canada (apparently a rare thing) and so we've had to meet mom and dad.  We've endured many conversations via a translator which can be lacking.  All I know is that 'dad' keeps insisting that we will come to China next July to visit their  home. He calls Keith his 'older brother' once he found out that Keith is a few months older than him!  Now, they seem to be quite wealthy and boy, were they ever generous in their gifts to us.  Keith and I both got wool items from a famous manufacturer, Liam got a remote control car that he is loving and the older boys each got an Ipod Touch! 
This is going to be quite an adventure and I hope and pray that William can feel comfortable here and enjoy his year in Canada with us.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

Rachel, I'm sure William will have a wonderful experience in your home. Could you feed him warm porridge in the morning with raisins or nuts? That's cheap and easy. What does he usually eat for breakfast?

Terry said...

Maybe a spicy and hot mutton stew for breakfast.

Anonymous said...

You are a much braver woman than I am. I'm definitely not the kind of person who is cut out for hosting an exchange student.

Hope you're able to find something for him to eat. Mind you, I'm sure he'll fall in love with your amazing cooking before he knows what hit him.

villagegirl said...

You have started a new adventure! Good thing you've had a couple days to adjust before school begins. I hope that things go smoothly!