Monday, January 22, 2007

Wonders Never Cease!

My bachelor brother had us over for supper tonight.....I think a first! He made us an amazing Thai stir-fry that was so delicious. I seriously pigged-out! It had cabbage, chicken, peppers, carrots, bean sprouts, and all kinds of delightful spices and flavours. For dessert there was chocolate cake with ice cream...yummy. Thanks Andrew! Some lucky lady needs to snatch him up :)




Enough about food...onto my current dilemma. I am going skiing in a few weeks with Nathan as part of a school trip. I need advice about my equipment. It is OLD. Tres old. Old as in I bought it in the late eighties. I foolishly thought it would be good enough for the slopes still but when I took my stuff in to get tuned and adjusted the guys at the shop practically laughed in my face! Due to the age of the bindings and insurance liability they won't adjust them but they did wax and sharpen my skis. Now what do I do? Ski on these relics and hope I don't kill myself with bindings that may or may not let me go if I fall? Or do I rent some skis? I am an intermediate skier and don't do crazy stuff but all the skis now are the new 'S' shape skis and maybe they would be easier on my old body that my 'straight' skis. I don't know what to do and would love to hear any advice from any of you skiers out there!
Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

Jenn said...

I'd rent skis if I were you. I rent skis always wherever we go and they've always been fine. Then you won't have to stress over it and can concentrate on havin fun!

Anonymous said...

Have you ever tried (or heard of)Snow Blades? They are like skis but shorter (about the same length in front and back). The feeling is almost exactly like skiing but these are MUCH easier to control, easier to turn, easier on the knees, and a LOT of fun. They also scoop up in the front and back so you can spin on them or even ski backwards almost like ice skating. You don't go quite as fast though, so if you're a speed queen, you might not be as big of a fan of these as I am. For me personally, not going as fast was a bonus! Anyway, not all hills rent Snow Blades but I think most do. If you decide to go with skis, I would rent. You'll feel better with newer equipment.

Kori's House said...

Dinner sounds great!! Since when did Andrew become a cook?!?
What did the boys think of dinner?

Didn't we rent at hemlock that year we went for this reason?

Anonymous said...

Speaking from experience, the new shaped skis are MUCH better than the old straight ones! Definitely rent and see how much easier turning is made...the skis nearly do the work for you! Then if you thought you were going to do a lot more skiing at least you would know what to buy.

Keri's Collage... said...

I agree! Try something new and fun! And you don't have have to pack them home after a long day :)

Canadian Kristin said...

Wow, I think the last time I was skiing was possibly with you and Keri and Kori!? That was eons ago.
Good for you, Rachel! The willingness to ski after years of not....I am impressed! Rent the super new skiis everyone is mentioning and have a blast!!!

Andrew.....dinner looked fabulous! Way to go!!!

Dickie Chick said...

My advice ... Rent! Speaking from someone who, when they last went skiing in the early 90's, tore her ACL in the ol' left knee. Don't think I will ever ski again.
I would go with the new rental equipment. Maybe it would be safer. I am clearly speaking out of fear of the slopes. Go with your gut! Sound like renting appears to be the popular vote, so maybe I'm not way off base.
Good for you Rachel! You are a brave soul! You go girl!

villagegirl said...

I'm certainly no expert but I have to agree with everyone. I'd rent - you will have peace of mind and a better feeling of what you'd like should you ever buy new ones.

villagegirl said...

P.S. Dinner sounds amazing!!!

Anonymous said...

Well, my skiing career began and ended on the same day when I crashed and broke my wrist, so I'm definitely no expert. But I just think that renting makes the most sense.

As for that dinner...what kind of bachelor cooks as well as that? I'm very impressed!

Rachel said...

Thanks for all your input ladies. My gut tells me to take the safe option so I have arranged to rent the equipment. I am very excited to ski Whistler...it'll be my first time up there!

Passionate Eater said...

If you got the ski gear at REI, you can still return it, even if it is from the 80s! Definitely rent new skis because safety comes first! However, if you feel that the skis are relatively sturdy, I would take them on a test run on a tiny hill in the back of the place you are staying at.

Also, after this post, I am sure that your bachelor brother will no longer be single, because that salad and dessert look fabulous!

Anonymous said...

REnt skis. The new ones are better. Did you ever hear what happened to Ron's 80's ski boots? They disintegrated as he was skiing. By the time he made it to the rental shop they were literally gone. The old plastic goes.

Anonymous said...

The bachelor impresses me. Enter him in the bachelor show?

Colleen said...

Well, I can't help you in the ski department as I am completely defunct on skis BUT I could have helped you out with that dinner. YUM!