Saturday, February 10, 2007

The Old Grey Mare Ain't What She Used to Be

Today was finally the much anticipated ski trip to Blackcomb! Wow...what a wonderful day we had. We started out bright and early. I call this the middle of the night actually. My alarm went off at 4:05 am! Yes....very rude. We had to be boarding the bus at the school at 5:15 am! The ride up was not pleasant for me at all. I got motion sick for the final hour and a half of the ride up. I don't usually get car-sick so this was a bit of a surprise...an unpleasant surprise I might add. I sat there and prayed very hard that I would not throw up on the bus. I brought along some Gravol (just in case) and was so thankful that I had. I took one but it only took the edge off the nausea. Once we got there and I was able to get into the fresh air I felt like a million bucks! So then commenced the gong show of getting the kids sorted into their lesson group and fitting them with equipment. Yeah....by the time that was over I was sweating! Yuck. Once the kids were off and away with their instructor, my girlfriend Delayne and I got our equipment and set off to the slopes. Neither of us had skiied the mountain before so it was a little overwhelming.....the trail map is huge and they have around 10 chairs! I am used to puny mountains with 3-4 chairs at best. We just randomly chose a lift and did our first run. It was bliss! Skiing is like riding a bicycle and we both found it be as great as we remembered. On our next run we chose a combination of two seperate chairs to get even higher up the mountain. Once we got up we were approached by a 'mountain host' who wanted to know if we would be interested in a free mountain tour. Why not?! You could chose a slow, medium or fast tour and we jumped onto the medium tour along with another couple from Texas. It's such an international experience up there....so many people from all over the world. I'm a sucker for accents and I heard my share today. Our wonderful guide took us all over the mountain...places we would have never ventured to on our own I'm sure. We skiied a glacier, tons of fresh powder and saw the most amazing views. The guide was very informative with little bits of trivia and history of Whistler. It was a very enjoyable two hours. We skiied almost the entire time....only going on two lifts during the tour...that's just how big that mountain is. But it did exhaust us and we bailed out of the tour on the last run to grab some lunch and rest our burning legs. Burning legs....burning....still burning......I fear what tomorow will bring in the pain department. Throughout the day we checked up on our boys and found them to be progressing very well. This was the first time for both of them and by the end of the day they were ready for a 'real' run and ride up the chairlift. We were very very proud mums!The ride home was much tamer for me. I kicked a small child out of the front seat of the bus and took a Gravol before we left. The combination brought me a nausea-free ride home which was such a relief!It was a great day and now I am so very tired and must go to bed. I'm sure Nathan and I will sleep very soundly tonight! Nathan and his buddies all ready for their first ski experience!


The view from the very top of Blackcomb....lots of fog mid-mountain but at the top it was gloriously sunny!

Delayne and I just before we tackled this double diamond run :) I am very happy with my decision to rent. The equipment was great! I only saw one person ALL day wearing 'old fashioned skis.

Okay...they didn't have this cool 'magic carpet' on the bunny hill back in my day. We had that horrid tow rope that ripped up one's gloves!

16 comments:

Keri's Collage... said...

That's it...I'm going skiing!! I haven't gone in SO long and have been itching to go! Will you take me RACH!?!?!?!?
So tell me, is there anything to hang onto while riding that magic carpet??

Anonymous said...

RAchel! I am impressed! Anyone who can ski a double diamond run and go touring with a mountain guide after being on a bus full of school kids is my hero! What fantastic pictures you took! Wow! So are you stiff yet?

Kori's House said...

Sounds like a fabulous day! The view is amazing, so crisp and fresh looking.
I am glad you had a great day!
I recieved at text at 4:30am and thought it was you heading out, but it wasn't. I prayed for you at 4:30am... but it was for safety and not car sickness. Sorry :(

villagegirl said...

You are totally my hero!! Double black diamond run! I can't imagine. I think I'd cry. I don't envy the long bus ride. blech. Looks like you had a great day though - great weather and breathtaking views! I'm in awe and I'm glad you had a good time. I'm with Keri. I've been itching to go - you must take us and teach us.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had an amazing day. Well, except for that whole bus-sickness thing. Thanks for sharing those beautiful pictures.

Rachel said...

Keri....I would love to go skiing with you! Wouldn't it be a scream? A girls day out on the slopes...what fun!
The magic carpet is quite slow so they don't need anything to hang onto. I wanted to try it out!

And I must clarify that we did NOT ski any double diamonds or single diamonds for that matter! It was a joke but I laughed that you thought that we would have done that!

Jenn said...

What beautiful pictures! I'm glad you had fun and I must say it makes me want to hit the slopes very soon... It's been too long for me since I last skiied :(

Dickie Chick said...

Wow!!! Way to go girl! Sounds like you had such a great time. Love the pictures too - They are gorgeous! Makes me want to go up to the top of the mountain, but only to see the view! ;o) The chair lift would have to bring me back down. hee hee!

Anonymous said...

Ha! You are too smooth. I thought you really did the DD!

Rachel said...

I confess that we did ride the chair down one time yesterday. We were just too tired to ski down.
I'm not too sore today...a little stiff but I thought it would be much worse. I'd love to ski more often but alas....it's an expensive hobby!

Mateo said...

Rachael You are tempting me to jump on a plane and come home! I love that mountain and if it wasn't for all the tourist there it would be my favorite. That stretch of road makes everyone car sick so you just have to be prepared for it hopefully once they've upgraded it for the Olympics it won't be so bad, and everyone download (aka rides down the chairlift) at Whistler... or were you on Blackcomb, from the sounds of it I think you were over on the Blackcomb Glacier and good Ol' 7th Heaven. ya those are my two favorite spots on the hills, that and the very top of Whistler the part were you practically have to hike up higher than the Chairlift goes so I doubt you went up there. Oh well, I think I better put on some more sunscreen I haven't seen this much sun in a month ever. have a good one and hopefully some good weather will follow this email back home

Canadian Kristin said...

Wow, sounds like a wonderful day! Glad you did it....and rented! Very cool that you could go on a tour with a Mountain Host, probably got to enjoy Blackcomb in a whole new way than without the tour guide! Very cool!

That's a really love drive for day skiing....is there not good snow closer?

Anonymous said...

The pictures are great Rachel and I am delighted you and Nathan had the chance to go up to Whistler...it's a great place. Darryl and I have brilliant memories of skiing up there. The video shows how well Nate did too...not bad at all for his first time!

cayman77 said...

oh the view is sooooooooooooooo beautiful! Cant wait for the Olympics! :)

Colleen said...

Look at you cute little ski bunnies! It sounds like it was amazing! I'm really intrigued by that picture of the view from the top of the mountain. The clouds almost look like lakes - so cool. How are your legs feeling now?

Anonymous said...

I agree, that you skied and found the time to do a tour makes you a "Skiing Superstar & Best Mom on the Planet" and not an "Old Grey Mare!"