Thursday, March 06, 2008

The Gory Details

So, first of all thank you to each and everyone of you who has emailed, left a comment, messaged me on Facebook or called. Your support means so much. I am feeling every emotion in the book these days and your kind words ground me.
I love hearing of stories of other 'after-thought' babies or woman who find themselves pregnant at an 'old age'! They are encouraging.
I am still in shock....really. Processing this major life change is taking me a lot longer than I would have ever thought. Some days I'm in denial, some days I think I can do this and others....well they are dark.
We found out I was pregnant on Jan 31st. One of my first thoughts was our pre-planned October trip to Disneyland with the boys. We had been planning this for at least four years and it gutted me to think that it couldn't happen now. So Keith and I quickly called our offices and worked on getting some immediate holidays so we could leave in February instead. It turned out well in the fact that Nate was still nine and qualified for lower prices on everything. Once a child is ten they are up there with the adults prices at parks, restaurants and all that.
We did have a good time and I did my best to put on a brave face but I was awfully queasy the entire trip. There was one day I could not do any rides at all. But mostly I just went on them and then took lots of deep breaths of fresh air! I think the cool weather helped....it was refreshing and if you've ever been in this predicament you know that fresh cool air is wonderful when you are feeling 'green'.
We are due October 5th if all goes as planned. I do realize that anything could happen....I am 'older' now so the chance of miscarriage does rise a bit. I have been feeling quite queasy and am so hoping I feel better soon. I have a feeling I will feel a lot better about this entire situation when I feel good again.
There you have it....the story....the drama.....the 'reality' show that is MY LIFE!

15 comments:

Shawna said...

I can't imagine what has gone through your mind, however I do know that he/she won't know what has hit 'em with two older brothers! What fun..it is certainly another 'new' chapter of your life.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Kori's House said...

You made me teary Rach!
I hope you stop feeling 'green' real soon!

Anonymous said...

I haven't been able to stop thinking about you since I read your post yesterday. Translation: I've been sending up lots of prayers on your behalf. I hope you're feeling better soon!

Keri's Collage... said...

I can relate to feeling green, hopefully that will pass very soon! I was told that a quick sniff of lemon can take the queezyness away! Might want to try it :)

Jennie said...

I must echo Sonya, I also have been thinking a lot about you too. And thus, lots of prayers. Here's hoping you are feeling better soon.

Kimberley said...

wow. congrats! this is crazy & awesome! its definitely a big life change for you guys even though you've been through the initial "we're having kids" lifechange, its like its the first time again. we are truly excited for you all, and i'm praying you feel better VERY soon. thinking of you!

Terry said...

Mostly, I feel odd commenting on what is a 'girls only' blog but hey, I'm your dad. I just want to say that I am so impressed with the circle of love and support you are receiving. To all Rachel's blog fans/readers, thank you. And I think keri's lemon cake idea is excellent, except I would take it one step further. Sniff it, sure, but then eat it too!

Margarete said...

Wow, what a surprising 'announcement'!
Praying for you and Keith and the boys to as you adjust and absorb this new reality.
Aunt Margarete

Sinead said...

I shudder when I hear your "queasy" stories!!! I had it so bad with Clodagh so I really empathize with you. Hang in there...really wish I was living closer. Been thinking about you every day since you told us and praying for you lots.

villagegirl said...

Oh sweetie! I do feel for you. I can't imagine what I'd feel if I was in the same place. FYI I was an 'afterthought' baby and apparently I just lit up everyone's life. ha ha
I truly, truly hope the quesiness goes away soon. Life is always better when one doesn't feel 'green'. I'm sending you some more hugs. :)

Barb Stingl said...

For the queasy times, I find that the antinausea/motion sickness bands work well. You can get them at any pharmacy. Also Diclectin works great and it's actually FOR pregnant gals. Will be praying that you have MANY nausea free days! Hugs!

Dickie Chick said...

Oh, Rachel! The queasiness! :o( Boooo! Not fun at all! Praying that it doesn't continue for too long.
P.S. I posted a comment on your last post too :0)

So glad you got away to Disneyland still!

Fiona said...

This explains the look on your face during the ferris wheel ride. :) Hope you're feeling better soon.

Anonymous said...

Congrats! That is soooo exciting! Joel's birthday is Oct. 5th. Actually I read once that it's the most common birthday (in the world or in the US or in North America??? Not sure) - all those New Year's Eve Celebrations...

I'm so glad you were able to get to Disneyland!

Looking forward to more baby updates!

Canadian Kristin said...

Still feeling gobsmacked by your news.......