Tuesday, December 29, 2009

The Klassen Clan Celebrates Oma's 80th!

Our huge, extended Klassen family still gets together each Christmas. I love that! Of course, no one's home is big enough so for the past several years we have used various church basements. Of course it's not as homey but until someone purchases a huge mansion, it'll have to do!

This year's gathering was held at Sherbrooke Church in Vancouver. Each family brought a salad and then we had KFC and hashbrown casserole. It was very tasty!



Here's Liam patiently waiting for his dinner.


Nate and Chad with one of their second cousins Connor from Calgary.



The buffet tables.

A very special cake for my Oma's 80th birthday!


Doesn't she look fantastic for 80 years old? She's still in great shape and has more energy than most people I know.




Anyone else grow up having 'cow candy' at Christmas? The packaging has been redesigned but it's a vanilla fudge that's made in Poland. It's very nostalgic and I eat one every year even though I don't really love it.



Liam and his second cousin Hannah enjoying some play time after dinner. Fortunately most of my cousins are having babies like rabbits so there are always plenty of little ones running around.
My cousin Lynnette with one of her twin boys. He's scrumptious!



All of my Oma's six children gathered around her at the end of the evening to say a prayer over her.


Beforehand, each sibling took a turn speaking about their mom and what she meant to them. It was a very nice evening.

8 comments:

Lovella ♥ said...

I really enjoyed reading all your Christmas posts. Well done. I think you are so lucky that you started blogging as a young mom. . so many memories are stashed in order.
I thought that your grandpa from the Menno Home looked familiar. .it's kind of funny when you see someone on someones blog and you know you've seen them in town .. or whereever.
Your boys are all so cute. I love to see Liam grow.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely event. You're so blessed to still have your Oma.

I had a cow candy just today! My parents brought some up with them and although they're not really my favorite candies, I figured I should probably eat one for old times sake. They also brought me some 'lobster' candies. Do you have those too?

Rachel said...

Lobster candy! YES! I totally remember those. My Grandma Friesen always had them out at gatherings.

Terry said...

Cow candy! Lobster candy! I can top that. When I was a kid we had 'road apples' Does anyone know what they are? If you ever played road hockey on the prairies you would know. They were frozen horse turds that we used as pucks. Yes, I really am that old!

villagegirl said...

What a nice way to celebrate! You Oma does look well. It's nice to come from good stock. :)
Cow Candies!!! Are you kidding? I haven't had one in years but as soon as I saw it all the memories came flooding back. I don't know if I would still love them but I sure did as a kid!
And the lobster candies...those are sounding vaguely familiar as well.
Road apples though...can't say that rings a bell with me. Can't say I particularly enjoy the image either. :)

Fiona said...

My first thought when I saw your Grandma was, "Wow, she looks great for 80!"

Looks like a great family gathering. Unfortunately, I can't get in on the reminiscing of cow and lobster candy. :( I must have been deprived.

Val said...

Love reading your blog, Rachel!! Reminds me so much of my family and the gatherings we have had over the years. Sounds like you had a great Christmas...now get ready for Monday morning:)

Kori's House said...

Your Oma is amazing!! She really is the energizer bunny isn't she??

I don't know that I have ever had cow candy. Where do I get one??