Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Youth

Nathan started with going to youth group at church when he started grade six. Now that he's in grade seven he's been bumped up the the grade 7 & 8 group and I have starting to get involved as well. I signed up to help sell candy at the concession on a rotational basis and have enjoyed it much more than I thought I would! Maybe because I work with middle schoolers as part of my job and have one at home, I feel very comfortable in relating to these kids. They are pretty great. A little crazy but great!

Last night they put on a progressive dinner at the church which was just so much fun! They had 14 different international stations which took about an hour and half for them to rotate through. My station was USA and guess what I got to serve? Hot Dogs!
The other stations were:

Bahamas Punch
Mexico Salsa & Chips
Germany Double Chocolate Cookies
North Pole Hot Chocolate and Marshmallows
Heaven Angel Food Cake
Greece Bread Sticks and Ranch (this could have been more authentic with Tzatziki dip but I guess they wanted to play it safe with fussy eaters??)
Canada Tim Bits
Africa Animal Crackers
Italy Pizza
Ireland Green Jello (really?)
Iceland Freezies
China Fortune Cookies
France French Fries

The kids had so much fun. The host of each station was dressed in costume and had trivia for the kids to answer while they were eating their treats.
I admire the leaders of Nathan's group. They are energetic, enthusiastic and passionate about the kids that come to church!

5 comments:

Terry said...

That sounds like fun.

Compare that to my youth days when we got tepid tap water if we were really thirsty.

Keri's Collage... said...

That sounds like a lot of fun!
Too bad Vanessa couldn't go :(

Keri's Collage... said...

Funny, just read your dads comment and it made me think of our youth days when we got tepid 'hot chocolate' with a scab on top. Of course they stopped that when the boys started flinging scabs! haha

Anonymous said...

What a fun event! Good for you for helping out. Sounds like you enjoyed it as much as the kids did. :)

Fiona said...

I was going to leave a nice comment about how great that is that they do that, but now I've got the thoughts of hot chocolate and scabs in my head. Blech! I know it's not THAT kind of scabs that she was talking about, but still! :P