Friday, November 25, 2011

R.A.K.

I just had the most awesome random act of kindness directed my way yesterday.
I went to the post office to mail off a Christmas present to my sponsored child in the Ukraine.  It was a small parcel so I didn't expect it to cost too much.
The postal worker weighed and measured it and then told me it would cost $20 for airmail and $10 for surface.  I knew that if I chose surface it wouldn't arrive in time for Christmas YET the airmail cost more than what was in the package! 
I reluctantly chose surface and said to the clerk:  "I guess getting a Christmas present in January is okay too".  The clerk then said, "I'm sure she'll get spoiled with gifts anyhow...it won't matter."  To which I replied that she is living in an orphange and probably won't get much at all.
The clerk paused a moment and then said, "Let me re-weigh this because I think you were just slightly over 250 grams which put the parcel into the next category in regards to price." 
Then to my surprise she put the parcel on the scale....but left half of the package hanging off the scale. 
"There!" she said....."Now it's 250 grams."
So with the new weight, it would cost me $10 to send it airmail and Lubya will get her gift in time for Christmas.
Thank you Clearbrook Post Office!  This is not the first time I have had a clerk at this outlet go above and beyond for me.
The cockles of my heart have been thoroughly warmed!

7 comments:

Terry said...

Was it Jane by any chance?

White Girl said...

Oh my goodness. This brought tears to my eyes! What a wonderful act of kindness and generosity. I'm so moved!

Keri's Collage... said...

That's lovely!
Today our credit/debit machine was down due to the high volume of black Friday. A customer in line offered to pay cash for the lady in front of her. The shocked customer asked for the kind ladies phone number to pay her back and she refused. She said 'pay it forward'. A great way to get everyone into the Christmas spirit!

Anonymous said...

This made me all teary.

villagegirl said...

That is amazing. So wonderful to here real life stories of people being kind!
B had a similar experience at Tim's - their debit was down and he had no cash so he got his coffe and ethan's muffin for free. Very rare!

Anonymous said...

The spirit of Christmas shows up in wonderful places and at just the right time. It's in the heart and overflows because we have a reason to celebrate.

Jenn said...

I love that!