Friday, December 02, 2011

Am I the Only One?

I am annoyed with the cross-selling tactics at the cashiers at Costco.

Generally I say no thank you and that's that.

But on Sunday I was pestered to death and my intelligence was questioned by the cashier and her packer dude about why on EARTH would I not want an executive membership.  They would not take no for an answer and I left annoyed.

 SO...I decided to email them on their website and complain.

I got a call from the manager of Costco in Abbotsford on Wednesday.

Basically....he also tried to sell me an executive membership!  Seriously?!

It costs $110 annually.  I'm happy to pay my $55 business membership, plain and simple. 

Anyhow...I told him that I was VERY familiar with 'cross-selling' and 'over-coming objections' as I have been in sales myself.  He was a bit taken aback at my 'knowledge' of the system.  I told him that I would like it if people at  Costco would respect my 'no thank you' and leave it at that.  I don't want to get into defensive mode everytime I am there.

Essentially he told me that perhaps I am frustrating the cashiers since it doesn't make sense for me NOT to have an exec membership.  Excuse me?  I don't want one.  Do you NOT understand this.  I don't want one.  I wouldn't even care if it fixes global warming or rebuilds the rainforests...I DON'T WANT ONE!!!!!!!!!

So the best he could do for me was offer me a 'fake' exec membership card so the cashiers will think I have one and not harrass me anymore.  But he said, they still will ask me if I want an Amex credit card.

There is no winning in this situation!

6 comments:

Terry said...

I am with you 100% on this issue.

Kori's House said...

I guess it pays to be an executive... they don't harass me :)

villagegirl said...

I totally understand that. Why can't no be no??
Now to play devils advocat...I do have an exec membership and because you get a return on your purchases I usually end up only paying about $30 for my membership (as they send you a cheque in the mail) and this coming year I will be paying nothing. So it can be a good thing...but I'm totally ok if don't want it. I totally get that and I won't pester you and I'll still be your friend. :)

Anonymous said...

Oh my word. They ask me that almost every time I'm there. Thankfully they haven't been too pushy when I've declined.

You know who I've found to be upping the pushiness factor lately? Telemarketers. What part of "no" do they not understand? Sheesh!

White Girl said...

This is precisely why I moved to the Middle East. No up-selling. ha!

White Girl said...

Thanks for this post, and thanks to myself for reading it before bedtime - I had Costco dreams last night. I was so surprised to see that I had an Exec Membership! haha