Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Little Chip

On Monday evening as we were doing the bedtime routine a most interesting thing happened.
Chad was flossing his teeth and the floss was a little hard to pull through his molar. So he gave it a good tug and out flew a piece of his tooth! It bled, he freaked, and well, Keith and I didn't know WHAT to do! We'd never heard of this before. I gathered up his little tooth fragment and we inspected his molar. It definitely was missing the corner but since it was a baby tooth we figured it should be okay.

Fast forward to Tuesday afternoon. Chad comes home from school to tell me that his mouth hurt when he ate his lunch. All my thoughts of leaving this issue alone were put aside and I promptly called the dentist. We were told to come over right away and so I dashed off leaving Nathan to babysit Liam for the first time!

We got to the office and were ushered into an exam room right away with our little 'chip' in a ziplock back. The dentist took a look and decided to quickly fill the little hole right there and then. Chad wasn't pleased to have to get a filling but he endured and was brave. His dentist told me that his tooth probably already had a chip ( from crunching hard candy I bet!) and the floss snagged it and when Chad tugged out the floss it broke the weak point of the tooth and out it came.

Next time your kids floss watch for flying teeth!

4 comments:

Terry said...

Good thing it was only a 'baby tooth'.
The photo looks like it came from the Hubble space telescope. Haha

Anonymous said...

I've never heard of that happening before. Gary once broke his tooth eating a jaw breaker, but that's understandable. ;)

Unknown said...

oh my gosh! That's scary. (I have a weird tooth-falling-apart phobia).

It's kind of ironic that it came apart while FLOSSING!!

Fiona said...

when i saw that picture, i thought it was something gooey on your ceiling. haha not that a chipped tooth is any better, but that was funny for me. i've never heard of that and agree that it's ironic to happen while flossing.