Thursday, January 13, 2011

Indian Canyons - Day 11

Although a bit gun-shy about touring any more park due to the freezing we had the day before we chose to brave the elements and head to the Indian Canyons on the edge of Palm Springs. My mom, Liam and Chad were definitely not interested so it was just the five of us. We learned our lesson and layered up but there was no need as the air was cool but the sun nice and warm.
Of course pictures are inadequate to show you the true beauty of this place. I took oodles of them but will only show you a few of my favorites. The hike above the canyon was very desert-like but then you descended into the ravine and you came upon a beautiful oasis.



We even found a thinking chair for Nathan.

This time the rock lounging was just for fun not to seek warmth from the elements!





Majestic date palms.



This picture is now my on my desk top. Gorgeous!








We went early enough in the morning to have the place to ourselves.

Looking over Coachella Valley.


Then we headed to the second set of canyons on the reserve. This was Indian land and we had to pay an entrance fee to see the canyons. Although this picture is deceptive these canyons were much more crowded than the previous with not as many photo ops. It was pretty but in a different way.



We hiked quickly as we had a time limit. We had to get back for lunch because my mom was treating us all to the movies that afternoon! So it was a good power hike.

I can only imagine this is would be a perfect place to dip one's feet after a hike in the summer when the temps are in the hundreds!


At this point we turned around and hoofed it back to the car. We made it home in good time, had lunch and then got back into the car to head to Regal Theatres. My mom took myself, Nathan, Chad and Andrew to see Narnia in 3D. It's an excellent movie and we all really enjoyed it. Our plan for New Year's Eve was very low key. Keith and I had to pack and get ready for an early departure to get to San Diego for our flight. So we did another online order (I love online ordering!) this time to P.F. Changs for chinese food. Thank you Andrew for picking up the tab!
It was really tasty and we had quite the feast. I just wish my stomach hadn't had been in knots. I would have had seconds! I get quite stressed out about flying the day before or morning of. Nerves. Mine are NOT made of steel.


After supper we watched a movie with the kids and then tossed them to bed and enjoyed one last evening in the hot tub. I'm pretty sure I didn't even make it to midnight!

It was sad to know our time in Palm Springs was coming to a close. Vacations always seem to go by too darn fast.

5 comments:

Terry said...

You guys packd in quite q bit while you were here.

Anonymous said...

Another bunch of great scenic photos. I'm making a mental note of all these places because I'd love to go see them myself.

cayman77 said...

gorgeous scenery!!!!! Looks like such an amazing trip!!!

Fiona said...

That canyon looks like the place where that guy got his arm caught when he fell and had to saw off his own arm! True story. They just made a movie out of it called 127 Hours. It was really good. Getting Oscars buzz, even. Still looks beautiful, though. :)

poof said...

Hey, that's my chair/rock, and those are our palm tree posing spots! Weird. I have exactly the same pictures - except we are in them instead of you. I guess this must mean there really is a parallel universe after all.