Sunday, January 30, 2011

My Head is Still Spinning

When we moved to our current house I told everyone that we wouldn't stay here beyond five years. Much to my surprise this is exactly the case because yesterday we bought a house! This all just came about so very quickly that Keith and I are still reeling over the whole matter.
I'll give you the long version so that you know how this all came about.
As you might know, Keith and I had been starting to house shop for the past 9 months or so. We knew we specifically wanted to stay in the area that we are in now as it's close to work, school, church and family. Keith and I would take our walks and go up and down our favorite streets looking for sale signs. We also got a realtor involved and he was also alerting us to anything that looked good before it hit MLS which was appreciated. I also put the word out to anyone who would listen as I knew that 'it's who you know' goes a long way in this town!
There were quite a few individual houses that were our favorite though and we would walk by them and eye them longingly. We found out that one of them in particular was owned by a TA who works at MEI. I hunted her down and asked her if they wanted to move and sell us their house....but they did not. I told her that we liked their street so to please let us know if anything came available. So that was in the fall. Fast forward to yesterday and there was a message on our answering machine from my co-worker that her neighbor just put a sign up and perhaps we should go take a look. As soon as I heard that message my heart started racing because I knew which house she was speaking of and it was one we really liked. We called our realtor pronto to find that he was sunning himself on the beach in Mexico BUT had thankfully left the phone number of his associate who could help us out in his absence. We were able to arrange a showing that afternoon but to be honest I think we were sold BEFORE we saw the place. The price was MUCH MUCH lower than we thought we'd have to pay and the house was much bigger than we thought we could afford. It seemed that everything was working out just right (of course things always do when God's got the reins!). We walked through the house...looked at each other and said, yep. We told the realtor right there (who ended up being one of my student's dad!) that we wanted to make an offer and we did. And they accepted and we'll be moving at the beginning of April!
We didn't sleep much last night...our minds were going non-stop. Our boys are excited even though they haven't seen it yet and well....we're hard pressed to believe it's really true.
The pressure is on now to sell our house and sell it FAST! Please pray for a quick sale and completion date. I trust God's got this all worked out already so I'm not going to worry too much about that.
Thanks for sharing in our excitement!
House details:
26 yrs old
3600 sq ft
3 levels
Big yard that's level (bonus!)
Five bedrooms upstairs
Renovated kitchen & bathrooms
Freshly painted
Turn key condition
It will need a new roof and windows in the next couple of years but that didn't deter us

I wish I had pix but it hadn't hit MLS yet so there are none to show you. You'll just have to wait for that :)

15 comments:

QuiltNut Creations said...

congrats Rachel! such fantastic news

villagegirl said...

That is just so exciting! It pays to wait for God's timing! I can't wait to see pictures! Yippee!

Auntie Gaye said...

Well, that is a nice birthday gift!

Sinead said...

Great news Rachel! We are so happy for you all and wish you all the best with the big changes over the next couple of months.

Karis said...

That's so awesome! Congrats!! God is good.

Jennie said...

Thanks God! So excited for you guys, can't wait to see it! :)

Anonymous said...

I'm so very excited for you! I'll be praying that your house sells quickly and that you get a good price for it.

Tracy Milton said...

Congratulations you guys. I am so so so excited for you. Looking forward to seeing it. :)

Trace said...

Congrats!! How exciting!! :)

Jenn said...

That's so exciting for you guys! Can hardly wait to see some pictures!

The Riley's said...

Wow. Exciting times! I'm sure that you are looking forward to moving in, and with it being in your neighbourhood hopefully the move will be an easier one!
Congratulations!

white girl said...

Congrats on the new digs! Can't wait to see pictures! This is going to be an exciting spring!

Fiona said...

Very exciting! Congrats ... and yes, it definitely pays to get the word out and having other people keeping their eyes open for you ... and having God on your side isn't too bad either. ;)

Kerry said...

How great is that!!! Congrats! Can't wait to see pictures of your new place...and I'll be praying that you are able to sell your other house fast. :)

poof said...

Coolio!