Thursday, July 14, 2011

Summer Holiday Part I


2011 is not going to consist of any exotic travel destinations or faraway holiday plans. For the past three years we have had a 'major' holiday and this was a year to lay low. Our 'little' holiday of the summer was to head to Vancouver Island to visit Keith's sister Suzanne and her fiancé Tyler who moved to Comox this past June. Away is away and it was indeed a great little holiday.
I'll post the whole trip in four posts and they will get progressively shorter as my camera battery got lower each day and I didn't think to bring my charger!

We actually left on time, Monday morning and got to the ferry with about 20 minutes to spare. It was a great day for travel with high overcast and not a drop of rain to be seen. Keith and I hadn't travelled the Horseshoe Bay ferry route since we were kids so it was all new to us.

A truly beautiful morning to be out on the water.


Most of the pictures are self explanatory! Had to record the moments.

We unloaded at Nanaimo and stopped for a quick lunch at Tim Horton's.
Liam knows ALL about Tim Bits. He definitely had his favorites.
We took the scenic route to Courtenay on the 19A highway which was beautiful. We arrived at our hotel for 3 pm check in. We were very pleased with the hotel....really new and well kept.
Liam felt very grown up having his own luggage to wheel in. He likes to travel.
He also likes hotel beds! We sort of splurged and got a suite instead of a regular room. I had a lot of points on my Master Card which more than covered our entire three day stay. Have I mentioned that I have not paid for a hotel room in years and years? All points, my darlings!!!!
Keith and I had our own room which was wonderful. We all didn't have to go to bed at the same time!
Behind the hotel is a 2 km loop around a small airstrip and bird estuary. It was the perfect place to stretch little legs.
The kids enjoyed the playground.
There were little trails off the path that were just meant to be explored. We saw a few bunnies and also eagles. This area had plenty of deer too.
Liam loves planes and had to pose in front of his favorite.
After our walk we headed over to Suzanne and Tyler's new house on the base. Tyler was transferred from Victoria to Comox as now he's in the Air Force instead of Army. He's an Aerospace Engineer....a very smart guy! The kids always enjoy seeing their dog Freyja. She's a gentle giant and loves them too!
Tyler was showing the kids how a tug of war with Freyja can never be won. He also showed Keith and I how to make corn on the cob on the BBQ. So delicious...I look forward to trying it out myself.
Suzanne made us a great dinner in her new kitchen. It sure is bigger than their old one back in Victoria! It's a cute little row house and I am happy to see them all settled in. Thanks for having us and feeding us so well!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok, how cute is Liam with his own little suitcase? What a darling little guy.

I love making corn on the cob on the bbq. It's my favorite way to do it.