Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Spicing Up the Tuesday Routine

We had a little communication break-down yesterday. That would be between Chad and myself.
The strangest thing about the whole situation is that I had a funny feeling it might happen.
It all started with a phone call on my cell around 3:15pm just as I was driving toward the bus stop to pick up the kids. It was the school secretary and she asked: Are you looking for Chad? I answered: Nooooooo....actually I am just on my way to pick them up from the bus stop!
She told me that Chad was sitting at the office insisting that I was going to pick him up from school that day. He did not board the bus and was very adamant that I was coming. Oh dear. It was my fault. I should never have mentioned on Monday that I was picking them up from school on WEDNESDAY! He was really confused. His teacher was ever more confused because Chad was so persuasive yet I had not left a note in his school planner (which I always do if he is not taking the bus home). She was torn and felt horrible....called and emailed me apologizing profusely. Which there was no need for, I might add.

So I told the secretary that I'd be there in 20 minutes because I had to get Nate from the bus stop first. Nate gets off the bus and is completely panicked. He's all upset because Chad isn't on the bus and he doesn't know where was and couldn't find him after school when it was time to board the bus! Total gong show. I reassured him it was okay....Chad was safe and it was a little mix-up. Oh right, and while I was sitting there in my car waiting for the bus, some creepy looking man walks right up to my car and motions to talk to me. I quickly locked my door and let down my window a crack. He asked to use my car lighter. Yeah right buddy! But since I am so polite I cannot say what I am thinking ( such as: bug off you creep) and say that I am not comfortable with that. He ambles off but looks rather suspicious as he checks out every car on the street. That was just what I needed....a nice car-jacking as my children are waiting for me!

So I drove rather quickly to the school to find Chad in the care of the PE teacher who was just wrapping up basketball practice. Mr. T told me that Chad picked a good day to hang out because he had brought him sugar cookies that day so he could really do no wrong :) Good timing on that one! So I bring Chad to the car and say very gently....What happened Chad? And the poor boy burst into tears. He was so stressed about the whole thing. So I spent the drive home reassuring him that it was okay and yes, we have to tell dad and no, no one is mad at him!


And that the end of the story folks. I am picking up the kids from school today and hoping really hard Chad doesn't get on the bus!!!!!

The main character of the story at 18 months old!

6 comments:

Baker said...

Awwww, poor Chad, and you! I'm glad it all turned out okay though. I could see Colton doing that too, so I'll be careful not to tell him too soon.

Kerry said...

Awwwww....poor guy. I can totally relate to him. The same thing happened to me as a kid and I totally panicked when my Mom didn't show up for me. Glad everything got worked out. :)

Jennie said...

Been there...Glad it all worked out :)

Anonymous said...

I've dealt with similar scenarios with my girls and the bus. It's bound to happen. I'm glad to hear that everything turned out ok.

villagegirl said...

Oh dear! That's quite the story. Poor Chad. Just a bit of trauma for him - and Nathan! Phew. I bet that won't happen again!
What an adorable picture.

Canadian Kristin said...

Oh no.....that would be scary and strange and too much. Here's hoping the Christmas break will rid him of any bad memories of the day!