Saturday, June 14, 2008

Never Thought It Would Happen To Me

When I was a teen, thinking about my future, I had always hoped that a new hospital would be built in Abbotsford before I started having babies. Our old MSA Hospital has been a nasty place for a long time now. Well, that didn't happen and I had both of our boys at MSA...without incident I might add. It was old but we all survived and weren't really worse for wear over it.

We were done our family and I told Keith it was too bad that I didn't get to have one of our babies in a new hospital. Oh well. Then the plans for the new hospital came out a few years ago and I said.....it would be almost worth having another just to experience having a baby in modern surroundings! Careful what you wish for.

We took the open house tour of the new hospital today. I am so impressed!

It's gorgeous and I'm really glad we planned (ha ha ha ha ha) the timing of this baby to coincide with it being open and ready for patients!!! It would have been tragic to miss it even by a few days or weeks. It opens for patients on Aug 24th so that's plenty of time for me to bake this babe one more month until delivery. One of the best aspects of the maternity ward....actually there are several wonderful features is that all rooms are private. All rooms have their own bathroom and shower! Another thing I am so happy about is that after my c-section I will be taken to recovery (as per normal) but instead of being there alone, Keith and the baby will be with me!!! I'm so psyched. With both the boys I hated laying in recovery thinking about my sweet baby after only seeing him for one quick minute. They would whisk the baby away and Keith as well and I would be left behind. This system is much more family friendly and they are aware that the family needs to be kept together as a unit as much as possible.

Did anyone else go on the tour today?

10 comments:

Kori's House said...

Even when we were candy stripers I didn't realize how bad msa was. When I had babies, I still didn't think it was that bad. My mind changed when my Grandma was in there not too long ago and I was disgusted with how bad it really is.
I am very excited that you will get to have your baby at the new one!
Did you check out the location of the outlet for your Chi :)

Stephanie said...

Hey, I was a candy striper at MSA too :) I'm glad you will get to have your baby and Keith with you in your own private room. That's the way it is done here too, and I can't imagine having it any other way. Do you have your c-section date booked already? Are they going to let you go to 40 weeks?

Terry said...

Aha! I knew all along this whole thing was planned. :-)

Anonymous said...

I had Cam at MSA and was not impressed one bit. You're so fortunate that you get to have your baby in the new hospital. It sounds like it will be more like a vacation than anything else. ;)

Keri's Collage... said...

Ooooh! I can't wait to come and visit you there!

QuiltNut Creations said...

i had our 3rd at MSA and was shocked at how horrible the hospital was than. saw the pictures of the new one on the news last night and very impressed

Shawna said...

Way to go -- look @ the bright side of things.

WE (as in us young moms) are blessed to have fabulous places and accommodations to birth our wee ones.

I call the our hospital the "baby hotel" as they think of everything to make your stay the best.

Yay for the new hospital -- I have heard from Paul that it is outstanding!

Lovella ♥ said...

I was never a candy stiper in the old hospital .. do you think I'm too old to apply for the job now?

Rachel said...

Lovella...candy-striping is overrated. UNLESS...you break all the rules like we did and eat cheezies in the cafeteria all afternoon :)

Anonymous said...

You obviously haven't had a section in a while...with breastfeeding being HUGE these days...they keep you with your baby most of the time unless there is medical issues...even at old MSA you are pretty much together forever from the time of birth...ready or not:)