Monday, June 23, 2008

This and That

Hello everyone.
We had a great weekend revelling in our 'knowing' about the baby's gender. Somehow for me anyhow, just knowing brings me a sense of calmness. It gives this little one an identity and has really erased any final disappointments about this surprise in our lives.
The boys have been over the moon with plans for their 'little brother'. Nathan has done all the calculations in his head and told me: "Mom, I will be an adult when my brother is nine years old! I will take him to my house and make him pancakes."
It warms my heart to hear the excitement of Nathan and Chad. I know they will be grand at this 'older brother' business. I suspect this new sibling will look to his brothers for guidance much more than his parents.
Another thought occured to me....I have never had a baby and a car at the same time! When I had both of our boys we were a one car family. Keith commuted so there wasn't even the possibility of me dropping him at work so I could have the car for the day. I will enjoy taking myself shopping and to doctor's appts etc and not have to call my mom for a ride. Just had to share that :)
We have started to discuss names. For some reason we had oodles of girls names that were possibilities but are having a heck of a time coming up with boy names. Ack! Beyond just trying to find a decent name that isn't too trendy but not too boring is matching it up with our ever-so-lovely last name. This poses another dimension to the process! Well....a few more months to work on this.
Next week I enter my final trimester! I can't believe it. I am starting to feel a bit uncomfortable. I sense a slight waddle when I walk and I have occasional heartburn too. Whine, whine whine.
And that people is your Monday update!

10 comments:

Keri's Collage... said...

How exciting! Your boys will be great BIG brothers to the newest little brother :)
I can't believe you are already at the 3rd trimester! A crazy thought for sure!
And how cool that you will have a car this time around. I can relate! I had to depened on everyone else for my appointments too!

Anonymous said...

It's so hard to believe that you're already approaching your third trimester. It's gone by so fast! Well, at least for your readers. :)

Jenn said...

Great! This boy will be such a blessing to you, Keith, Nathan, and Chad. Wow, time is flying... I hope you'll let yourself take it easy as you go through this last trimester.

Dayna Chu said...

Rachel, I can relate on so many levels. I was *so* ready to find out the gender. I told people, "it's still a surprise, we just got the surprise 20 weeks earlier than we would have!" And names. *sigh* ... not too crazy, not too trendy, must like any form of shortened or nick name that could be made out of it and cannot rhyme with the last name... or be taken by other family members... etc! What's your maiden name? Just when I thought we could go with my maiden name, though trendy-ish for a boys name right now (Dillon), I was told by my hubby that it translates as "retarded" in Cantonese. Hm.

So! have fun with that ;o)

All the best for your last trimester!

poof said...

Ack. I like that one. Very masculine. :)

You are 2/3's done? When did this happen...how time flies when one is not pregnant.

Rachel said...

Thanks for the suggestions Dayna.
My maiden name would NOT go with our last name.
It would be a cruel thing to name a little boy:
Friesen Dyck
LOL!!!!!

Kerry said...

Glad the boys are so excited...and I can't believe you're entering into the third trimester...feels like yesterday you wrote about being nauseas. I've heard that heartburn means that the baby will have tons of hair. If I have any good boys names, I'll pass them along. :)

Fiona said...

I love that Nathan is thinking about having his brother over and making pancakes. So great! You HAVE to write that one down and remind him of that later (although he seems like such a great kid you probably won't have to remind him).

How about naming him, Richard, and then the shortened version will be Dick Dyck? I do NOT get when/why people do that. John Johnson, Pete Peterson, Rob Robertson. Seriously? Silly people. Good luck. :)

villagegirl said...

Wow, this has really been going by way too fast! Your boys will be the most fabulous big brothers and the nice thing about having a greater distance in age is that they probably won't fight a whole lot.
I hear you about the names. I seriously could not pick another boy name if my life depended on it.

Canadian Kristin said...

So very glad that you have all moved into full-on excited and planning for the newest family member! Very wonderful dynamics and possibilities when there's such an age range...we've found it adds a totally different and awesome spin on siblings relations! Ummmm.....and free babysitting.....SCORE!!!