Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A Girl for Me




I'm really excited about Luyba who is going to be a part of our family in a long distance kind of way. MEI partners with an orphanage in the Ukraine and Heather just got back from a trip to visit and has met Luyba. She kept a blog up to date while she was there about her visit and I felt a stirring in my heart to sponsor one of these kids. When she returned I was able to chose from several pages of girls who needed sponsors and for some reason this sweet girl stood out to me. She's 12 years old and loves crafts, math, sausage and potatoes!
The Good Shepherd Shelter is the only one of it's kind in the Ukraine. The only other option is state-run orphanges which are very 'orphan Annie' like. They get really good care here and a Christian influence which is the best part of all. Since MEI is so closely involved it's easy to feel quite close to the kids. There is a missions team from the high school going this spring to help out and I am able to send a package over to Luyba with some small gifts. I love that! It makes me feel so much more connected with her than to my World Vision child.
If you want to get involved with Good Shepherd I'm sure I can help you out. 100% of your sponsorship money goes to the program which is most encouraging.
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Terry said...

Ah, the daughter you never had. Does that make me her grandfather? :)

Anonymous said...

That's terrific Rachel! Sponsoring children is such an amazing way to make a difference.

Fiona said...

That's awesome. Look forward to hearing updates about her. :)

Kerry said...

That is awesome!! What a blessing for her!! :)